Teen diver dead - Catalina Island, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As this boys mom I will give some info to clarify but am not interested in getting into debates or discussions or answering questions. This is what I understand from the police reports.

There were 4 divers together on this dive. 3 in a group and one with a camera following. All had different levels of training ranging from brand new to about 150 dives. All 4 ran out or were really low on air at at about 90 ft. 15 year old and another were were spear fishing. Only one had training to be at that level. 2 of the group needed to ascend quickly, thought the 15 year old had seen them. 4th guy (camera guy) got the 15 year old and started to ascend. Both ran out of air. First 2 got to the top and tried to alert others that help was needed. Camera guy and 15 both passed out. Camera guy at some point dropped weights and surfaced (while unconscious) 15 year old did not and ultimately drowned. There is video of what happened. Only one of 4 (possibly none) were watching their air. There was multiple medics/emt/emergency response that tried their best. This was a complete accident. By telling this I hope that it will help something like this to not happen again with someone else.

Thank you very much for your post. I am very sorry for your loss. As a new father myself I cannot even begin to comprehend how you must feel.

Such a shame this happened. A tragedy for the family and all involved. Divers please watch your air.

Last edited:
Alli,

There is nothing that compares to the joy of birth of a child : and there is no greater tragedy as the loss of a child.
Once again as I did on post of October 18 & 19 October 2015 Mrs.. Miller and I send our most sincere condolences to you and your family.

We had 6 children lost one early in his life, even though almost 50 years has passed we understand your loss and pain. Children are certainly gifts from God whose memory is to be cherished and treasured now and forever

As you possibly note from my avatar I have been involved in spear fishing and all aspects of diving for a long long time

I also have been involved in many dive litigations since 1957 as "expert witness" and/or consultations. Should you like to have a discussion regarding any aspect of this tragedy feel free to contact me ...of course it will be pro bono.

With much sympathy for your great loss

Dr. Sam & Dr. Betty Miller

Thank you so much for sharing, Alli. My deepest condolences. The information you provided does help to remind people about gas management and diving within their experiences and limitations, distractions by cameras or other gear, etc., as well as communications. I'm very sorry for your loss. May your son rest in peace.

As this boys mom I will give some info to clarify but am not interested in getting into debates or discussions or answering questions. This is what I understand from the police reports.

There were 4 divers together on this dive. 3 in a group and one with a camera following. All had different levels of training ranging from brand new to about 150 dives. All 4 ran out or were really low on air at at about 90 ft. 15 year old and another were were spear fishing. Only one had training to be at that level. 2 of the group needed to ascend quickly, thought the 15 year old had seen them. 4th guy (camera guy) got the 15 year old and started to ascend. Both ran out of air. First 2 got to the top and tried to alert others that help was needed. Camera guy and 15 both passed out. Camera guy at some point dropped weights and surfaced (while unconscious) 15 year old did not and ultimately drowned. There is video of what happened. Only one of 4 (possibly none) were watching their air. There was multiple medics/emt/emergency response that tried their best. This was a complete accident. By telling this I hope that it will help something like this to not happen again with someone else.
Sorry for your loss....I can not imagine what you are going through.

Wow spearfishing at 90 feet with no redundancy. Sounds like if they just had a pony bottle or two, they would have learned a lesson instead of a fatality. Makes me feel a little sick.

I would like to see the video. It might serve as a valuable teaching tool for new divers.

... It might serve as a valuable teaching tool for new divers.

My sincere condolences to the family of the lost youth. I'm very sorry for their loss and the pain they must be feeling.

There are a few lessons and reminders that come from this tragedy. If nothing else good comes of this - it is a reminder of the importance of gas management, diving within one's limitations, and emergency procedures. If the camera guy had not dropped weights - presumably attempting an emergency buoyant ascent - there may have been another fatality in this matter (my supposition based on what has been reported in this thread.)

Once again, so very sorry to hear about this accident.

Back
Top Bottom