Teen Daughter Draging Her Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
another good reason to get young teenage girl family members diving - wetsuits from neck to ankle! this plus dive knife makes me very happy :)
Hmmm... neoprene burkas. Now's there an idea before its time.

I think you should simply ask her why she doesn't want to go scuba diving in the first place. Yes, she could say, "Because I wan't to go to the mall with my friends." But why won't she scuba dive, she may be trying to avoid scuba diving or she could just be acting stubborn. I would rather go scuba diving than to the mall any day, but I think one way to get her to go scuba diving is by using positive reinforcement. Positive reinforcement, to me, is almost like bribing but in a good way. If she goes scuba scuba diving then let her go to the movies or to the mall or maybe something else that she likes to do. There are unforunately many possibilities to why she wouldn't want to go. As I have said, try and use positive reinforcement, it may work, and may not.

Good Luck!

Sparrowhawk

hello sir ,
for me i wanted to dive ever since my dad let me put his reg in my mouth at the age of 3. ive always been in love with the water so diving was a must. though diving may be a big part of your life your daughter may have other intrests.you shouldnt push her to dive. diving is a a pastime /sport its not like going to school if she doesnt like to dive dont make her its not like she'll be a failure. the bottom line is dont push.

First you have to know if there is a reason why she simly does not want to dive. She may simply not get anything out of it, she may feel awkward in a wetsuit, or just not want to dive with daddy. Kids are like that.

There is the ever popular "can I bring a friend". Of course this suggest a second adult to give the youths good adult buddy coverage while the youths dive "together".

Pete

I work with pre-teens and what works for me is giving them choices. At this stage of growing up a lot of teens are looking to have some control in their life instead of being controlled. I’m not talking about an ultimatum of go diving or no more Malls but give her some control in how her diving goes. I took my first scuba class in my late teens but never did my OW dives, I had other priorities. Also giving your daughter the choice of talking with other young divers might help. I noticed that my students will listen and open up to other students more often than me.

Best of luck in getting your daughter to dive and from a teacher, thanks for being involved with your daughter.

John

CDFDiveMaster:
Hey, any advice from you younger divers as to what motivated you to get into diving and why your diving (girls especially). It seems like my daughter (14) is procrastinating on finishing her OW class. All she has left is pool and dives. Any suggestion on motivating her let me know.

Dad
CDF, I TO HAVE THE EXACT, problem, my daughter jennifer completed all but the last two dives,and quit, so a month or two latter she decided to finish , i paid the money for her to get a refresh in the pool and then go to monterey to do her last two dives and she made an excuse that her braces hurt and she would not finish, a lot of money down the tubes, and now she wants me to pay to let her go back and take the hole class over, as she will have to as its been to long now to pick up were she left off. yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know what to do , if she goes half way and quits again i may hang one of the two of us lol :D good luck

rescue teen:
hello sir ,
for me i wanted to dive ever since my dad let me put his reg in my mouth at the age of 3. ive always been in love with the water so diving was a must.

This is exactly how I was, as soon as I could swim I started snorkling around the cave entrances while my dad would decompress, its an adiction from any age

jim ernst:
now she wants me to pay to let her go back and take the hole class over, as she will have to as its been to long now to pick up were she left off. yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think so. She's either not ready, not truly interseted, needs to learn about commitment, or has no respect for what it takes to earm $$.

I'd make her pony up if she really wants to dive, at least a 50/50 match. Then she'll think twice about whimping out. You've done your part, time for to take the lead.

Pete

spectrum:
I don't think so. She's either not ready, not truly interseted, needs to learn about commitment, or has no respect for what it takes to earm $$.

I'd make her pony up if she really wants to dive, at least a 50/50 match. Then she'll think twice about whimping out. You've done your part, time for to take the lead.

Pete
well i have to agree on this after just a little thought, and my instructor told her no, unless she is willing to work to help pay for it,lol!! so that is were it stands, and thanks for the advice!!!:wink:

Make her finish the class.

Dragging her feet and going to the mall (I know I have one too) is not like a fear issue, etc. You paid the money right? She said she wanted to do it, right? I say tell her she has to finish the class.

Back
Top Bottom