Teen Daughter Draging Her Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im 18 and i have been scuba diving since i was twelve, certified as an open water diver since i was 16, recently gaining my advanced open water cert this past summer... hopefully by next summer ill be a rescue diver.

Anyways, whats wrong with boys?

and also, the mall is a great place to have fun.

but diving is 10x better.

show her pictures of fish or underwater life, that is what made me want to dive, i wanted to see what i was seeing in pictures first hand. before i even scuba dived for the first time, i was about 10 years old when i decided what i wanted to do with my life, marine biology.

Marine biology ties in with scuba diving, now im also starting up apnea.
i want to go to a school in florida so i can have beautiful ocean to look at when i wake up in the morning. Also, great internships.

Let her kno what kind of advantages diving has, and tell her that maybe she'll even meet a boyfriend who also likes diving.

and before you kno it, instead of going to the mall, she'll want to go to to the local dive shop :D

oh yea, kids give me **** all the time at school about being a "scuba diver" i kind of just joke along with it. i mean it is a bit funny knowing a "scuba diver" because it just isnt a very big hobby that you'd see a teenager enjoying, i'd much rather freedive to 100ft than be the reason winning a football game

No, it would not.

It would help in making me leave this forum if he joined.

Tom Winters:
It would sure help a lot around here if Marilyn Manson took up scuba diving.

If he does, I might actually start questioning the integrity of this activity... j/k
But really even if he does get into diving, it's probably not gonna help much since it's been quite a few years since I've met anyone who's into him. (In situation like this, it is very probable that Marilyn Manson is no longer considered to be an "in" icon, at least not for 17-22 years old Californian college kids) Cheers!

Well the big thing no matter what is to not rush her. I see it a lot in the shop I work at. The wife or the kid is drug along or worse thinks that since the husband/wife, or dad/brother/mother/second cousin twice removed does it that they are obligated to. And when they feel obligated then they don't do it to there fullest and don't enjoy it. They could also have a ton of other things they would rather be doing on their mind and totally screw up. And remember shes still 14 you guys have TONS of time to go out and dive before she even graduates not to mention you live in florida that is sweet. You have an ocean with salt. I have a pool and a pea soup quarry. good luck with it though!

shooter61:
...... The wife or the kid is drug along or worse
hmmm, dont remember drugging our neice :), we prefer it as having our own "have a family member breed your own dive buddy program"

our thing with rebecca was to try to make it as relaxed as possible, we treated it as a confidence building exercise more than anything else. 2 years ago we found out she could barely read so we started her thru the padi program, snorkling, bubble makers, getting her C cards, reading her OW manual with her tutor and now she has been accepted to a selective high school and she is happy with herself.

Maybe you have this all figured out already... but I'm a girl, and I started diving at 14. I had to overcome some things to get certified... and instead of posting it all here, just send me a PM or drop me an e-mail... k_maskell03@hotmail.com and we can chat about it. I would even be more then happy to talk to her.. sometimes talking about your fears to someone that understands really helps. If you still need it, lets talk.

Hope to hear from you soon! :)
Kayla

Sea-Diver:
Maybe she should hang out with some mermaids for a day!?

Have her check out www.weekiwachee.com
your mermaids seem to have suffered a wardrobe malfunction - there is far too little fabric on those outfits!

another good reason to get young teenage girl family members diving - wetsuits from neck to ankle! this plus dive knife makes me very happy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom