Technology for Trimix Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy wants me to get Advance Nitrox and then Trimix certified. This brought me to have some questions about the Tech behind the Trimix Dive Computers.

I am curious why computers like the Cobalt 2, D6i and others vendors like Oceanic can not do Trimix.

Is it just a programing thing so they can create another tier and price bracket?

Especially the Cobalt 2, seem to have enough horse power to do it. And if it is a Software thing, why wouldn't Atomic Upgrade the Cobalt to do Trimix?

Thanks all,

RonR has confirmed the Cobalt has the computational ability to handle trimix, but Atomic hasn't shown even a hint of interest in pursuing tech capabilities in their computers. Maybe the wrist version, when/if one comes out, will eventually have the software. Not sure how Atomic's hybrid RGBM (folded above 150', full below 150') algorithm will work with helium, either.

If you want a trimix-capable computer, you buy a Petrel. It's a very simple choice.

Shearwater makes what most of us consider the absolute best tech computers. Liquivision is probably a close second.

Most computers have the processing capability to run trimix, but they are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Companies selling trimix computers are generally more concerned with functionality than volume of sales.

Dr. Lecter is correct, the algorithm in the Cobalt is inherently capable of handling trimix (this is not true of all algorithms, though). However there is currently no user interface to enter a different fraction of He. Since the Cobalt switches to fully iterative RGBM if the max depth goes over 150', that part of the algorithm is what would be most likely to come into play for trimix dives. Atomic has not had a great interest in moving outside recreational parameters, and also thought the appeal of a trimix console would be limited. We will see if this changes for future products.

Ron

Thank you all for the information. Sounds like Huish is going to let there new acquired Liquivision deal with it, which is smart business. Bummer, but I guess since Liquivision and Shearwater are Canadian, I support either of them.

I have played a once with the Liquidvision and was not a fan of the interface. The Shearwaters, look very clean may have to find someone with one and play.

I read that the Recreational computers are VERY Conservative, today versus 5-10 years ago. Are the Tech Computers the same when using for Recreational?

Guess My Daughters First Computer will be my Cobalt 2, when I upgrade next summer. Lucky her.

The Shearwater's come standard with GF & have the option to add VPM. Either can be adjusted by the user to fit their own preferred level of conservatism. I recently switched from VR3's to Petrel's. The learning curve for the Petrel is 1/10 that of a VR3, very intuitive & easy to use. With old eyes I can read the Petrel even without my readers in my mask.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I read that the Recreational computers are VERY Conservative, today versus 5-10 years ago. Are the Tech Computers the same when using for Recreational?

The reasons I am a Shearwater Fanboy:
It doesn't beep at you. Ever. I can't say enough good about a computer that doesn't make noise.

You can set it as liberal or conservative as you wish. I'll bet you can set it so you can get bent every dive.

It doesn't beep

It will interface with a mac as a native operating system. See, the folks at Shearwater figure that if progressives buy Shearwaters, we might have Macs too.

It makes no noise

It stores 5 gasses. I am O/C, so I keep the popular gasses in it: 21%, 32%, 50%, 21/35, and 16/50. Even if I jump in with the wrong gas set, or forget to turn on my Shearwater, I can turn it on, reset the gas, and all of those things underwater. I am not penalized for forgetting to set up my dive. That's why I don't have a rebreather. It isn't nearly as forgiving.

No incessant beeping for something I meant to do.

I can use a AA battery in it.

No beeping when I screw up, either.

I like wrist mount. The Shearwater is wrist mount. I like hose mount too. I also like a console. I'm SOL on the last two.

It's the quietest computer on the market.

Most computers have the processing capability to run trimix, but they are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Companies selling trimix computers are generally more concerned with functionality than volume of sales.

I think this is the key point. Also remember that decompression with multiple gasses has lots of permutations so the computer cannot just give a simple "time to surface". Many recreational divers are reliant (maybe too reliant) on this type of feature and making a distinct difference between recreational level and trimix computers is therefore sensible. Mixed gas diving is all about planning. That said the advantages of constant depth time monitoring are such that most of us use one (if we can afford it :))

One other feature I like about the Shearwaters is that they give TTS based on all the gases that are turned on. My better half's older DR computers only give TTS for the gas being used. She keeps it in her head what her actual time will be however she only dives OC. When I'm doing CCR dives over 5 hours it is very useful to be able to see my TTS with my BO OC gases. Even though those types of dives are preplanned well in advance it is a nice feature to be able to quickly verify BO OC run time against how much gas I'm carrying.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The reasons I am a Shearwater Fanboy:
It will interface with a mac as a native operating system. See, the folks at Shearwater figure that if progressives buy Shearwaters, we might have Macs too.
It's the quietest computer on the market.

Wookie, you may have scared me off Shearwater, with all the Bad fruit talk. Having Meet Steve Jobs, I'd rather move to the Ukraine then own his Products. :)

Now seriously, you all made very good points and I appreciate all the input. I had purchased the Cobalt 2, as my old eyes had issues with the lcd screens too.

I will definitely be looking to see a Shearwater in action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom