Technology Cycle Length, i.e. When will my purchase be obsolete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
The smarmy answer ("The day after you purchase it...") I don't need you folks for. :D

Seriously, though, I am trying to look at two different alternatives - an FX1 with housing and lights and a HC3 with housing and lights. The cost difference is fairly substantial but I would be willing to pour more money into the set-up if I thought that I will be able to use this for the next 4-5 years.

Thoughts?

I would go with the HC3 as long as you get a housing that allows for manual white balance (I think Sony calls it "one touch white balance"). The HC3 housing will be much smaller than a housed FX1 and much more useful underwater.

I wouldn't worry about it being obsolete, regular definition cameras still work fine for most people (and is still what DVDs use). I think you easily could squeeze 4 years+ of usage out of a recent HD camera.

- Cheers,
MikeT

I'd say that 4 years would be fine also for the current HDV cams, but hey who knows what could happen?! They could be absolutely fine still, or they could have been superceeded by another HD format. It's a question I've been asking myself over and over and over again. You 'should' be ok with either of them, but really no one knows - it's one of those how long is a piece of string questions! :(

The HC3 and FX1 are hugely different cams though. Personally I'd buy the HC3 if I was going to travel a lot due to size, weight, luggage allowance and all round practicality. However if you'll be using the cam in mainly the same nearby locations then from what I've seen I'd say go with the FX1. It may be a bit of a lump with the housing, but it's a hell of a camcorder.

Cheers, Simon

Matt, I hate to make your descision even more difficult than it already is BUT... I would STRONGLY recommend that you check out the Panasonic AG-HVX200. It does everything that the FX-1 does plus LOTS more. It's more money than the FX-1 but if you are conserned about it being outdated, I would spend the extra bucks.

Th HVX200 shoots all the native HD formats in 30 frame as well as 24frame Cine mode. FX-1 doesn't do that. I don't want to trash the Sonys, especially since I own one. (VX2000). I'm the Technical Operations Supervisor at the NBC affiliate just down the road a piece from you in Providence. I've shot with the FX-1 and demoed the HVX200. If I can answer any questions, reply in this thread or PM me. Check out the links below.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/hvx200microsite/index.asp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=381410&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Good Luck! I'd love to see some footage for which ever camera you choose!

~Steve~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom