Technically Superior Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried a lot of different fins for scuba diving and if your primary concern is moving through the water efficiently, then a long full foot freedive fin is the best in my experience. I used SP jet fins for a long time and they are good and powerful and can move you fast for short bursts, but they don't allow me to cruise with the least amount of effort.

Think about it.. freedivers need to move through the water as efficiently as possible, if there were more efficient and practical fins, don't you think they would be using them?

I've used the Jets as they are known, for a number of years. We're talking beginning in the 70's. They are powerful torque fins that for me are great if I need to go short distances through the water with little fin movement. Not so good for fun relaxed diving. Hate the straps.

I've used the Atomic Smokes and they work well but are opposite of the above. Spring straps are better than rubber type.

I've used the ForceFins, Tan D's and Pros, these gave me less than stellar performance but were ok. Fell in love with their bungie straps.

I've used the A.L. Slings and was not impressed at all.

Got the SeaNovas last year and believe they are best all around if you can get past the funky look. Some want to call it marketing hype, for me, not a cave or Teckie type, they are excellent.

I can frog kick in them, but that 's not really what they are designed for. There are a new Gorilla Nova that's said to be stiffer and will work for Frogging.

I don't rate a fin based on how fast it will make me. If it gives me good control, gives me some power in a current, fits well, is comfortable and is easy to get on and off easy, that's what I rate one on.

I've used the A.L. Slings and was not impressed at all.

Got the SeaNovas last year and believe they are best all around if you can get past the funky look. Some want to call it marketing hype, for me, not a cave or Teckie type, they are excellent.

I have a set of A.L. Slings...verdict is still out. Will look closer at the SeaNovas.

I have Atomic Smokes, Seawing Nova, and the stiffest Picasso Carbon. The Seawing Novas have positive buoyancy. I prefer neutral or negative buoyancy fins for long surface swims. Nothing compares to full footpocket long blade carbon fins when it comes to flutter or dolphin kick. Only problem is carbon blades are not bulletproof and can crack on rough or rocky entries. I have Waterways fiberglass long blade fins for rough entries.

A swimming pool is an easy place to try out fins side by side. It is all about comfort and performance for all my gear.

Back
Top Bottom