Technically Superior Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Scubaboard members,

I have been reading a lot about “technically superior fins” both on this forum and other sources. If we get past the advertising hype and corporate branding what makes such fins as the Scubapro Seawing Nova, Aqua Lung Slingshot and a split fin such as the Atomic Aquatics, better than the other technically superior fins? What type of kick strokes do each of these work best with and what type of kick stroke does not work that well? How do they perform in strong current vs going along with a lazy recreational drift dive? :hm:

While I have a set of Atomic Split Fins and a set of Slingshots, I really have not had to put either of them to the “test”… for the most part I have mainly done recreational boat dives. As far as that goes, due to my work situation the last 7 years I haven’t been able to compare them side by side either.

I am curious if anyone has put them side by side under the same testing parameters.
(Sorry…not much faith in product evaluations in magazines that accept major advertising from the tested companies…it seems like they just trade off who get “Best Editor’s Choice” every six months). :whistling:

I know diver's have their favorites...but has anyone done a true side-by-side (non-manufacture commissioned) comparison?

Thanks,

~Michael~

Scubaboard members,

I have been reading a lot about “technically superior fins” both on this forum and other sources. If we get past the advertising hype and corporate branding what makes such fins as the Scubapro Seawing Nova, Aqua Lung Slingshot and a split fin such as the Atomic Aquatics, better than the other technically superior fins? ......

Are you sure????!!? :popcorn:

'Technical' (also Tek, Tec, Tech) - a meaningless word that is increasingly used by scuba manufacturers in conjunction with overly-fancy recreational scuba kit, giving the illusion that it is of superior design and/or somehow related to technical diving - which it isn't.

'Technical' (also Tek, Tec, Tech) - a meaningless word that is increasingly used by scuba manufacturers in conjunction with overly-fancy recreational scuba kit, giving the illusion that it is of superior design and/or somehow related to technical diving - which it isn't.

Good for a 10% markup on price.

I get the same feeling...that they are not "technically" superior to other recreational fins. I have taken several classes/courses and besides a brief demonstration of the frog & side kick during a PADI Wreck Diving course...I have never been told anything about how to propperly kick. I have read other posts that seem to indicate that it is more important in "how" you use the fins as oppose to what flavor it is. Maybe I am not putting enough "hip" into my kicks or keeping my legs straight enough to get full value out of these $$$fins. IDK. Maybe I am just a saleman's best friend. :dork2:

:idk: are you in a hurry? are you looking for speed or control?

:idk: are you in a hurry? are you looking for speed or control?

Between the two choices...control. But I want to maximize my efficiency...and effectivenes of the fins. I think as I have the opportunities to dive more, both of these will increase. However, I have read in other posts that not using proper kicking technique diminishes the design affects of the equipment. I have always just jumped and and kick with what naturally comes to me. With the exception of diving in a wreck or a swim-thru I will try and use the frog kick so as not to disturb the silt (or at least minimize my impact on it).

With less than 100 dives...I mainly try and watch more experience divers and see what they do. :lookaround:

~ME~

The properties of a 'high propulsion' fin are very different from a 'control' fin.

Speed efficiency is gained through a long surface and flexible 're-bound' upon kick stroke.

Control and fine-tuning is gained through a stiff material (less re-bound) and a broad, shorter surface.

I just see these 'fancy fins' as gimmicks sold to divers who really don't understand the performance characteristics they would most benefit from. Novice divers think of fin performance primarily in terms of 'speed'. Experienced divers rarely, if ever, seek to move speedily around a dive site - although they may demand a powerful fin if they regularly operate in high current areas.

There are some fins that offer credible power, along with excellent control. They are pretty plain to look at, robust, made from single mouldings and don't cost very much. They are never marketed as 'technically superior', or using any similar gobbledegook advertising jargon. Jetfins, Turtles, Slipstreams and Forcefins fit that bill nicely.

There is a thread on here somewhere (I think in the fins subforum) where someone did some testing on some fin models. It wasn't a perfect experimental design, but a lot better than the subjective "I like THESE" reviews in the magazines. I can't remember which specific models he tested, though.

There is a thread on here somewhere (I think in the fins subforum) where someone did some testing on some fin models. It wasn't a perfect experimental design, but a lot better than the subjective "I like THESE" reviews in the magazines. I can't remember which specific models he tested, though.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fins-vs-force-fins-vs-blade-normal-fins.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fin-review-2-0-split-fins-vs-all-others.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/302612-force-fin-review-die-hard-jet-fin-user.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...678-review-scuba-pros-sea-wing-nova-fins.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom