Technical Nitrox & Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I need some recommendations.

A buddy and I want to continue our training this year by moving into Trimix. We have both taken IANTD classes up through Advanced EANx. Our next step on the ladder would be Technical Nitrox then Trimix. We had a recommendation for an instructor in Houston, but when we contacted him he informed us he is not actively teaching at this time.

My next choice would be to take these classes from my Cave Instructor in Florida. Unfortunately, he fulfills the depth requirements by teaching in deep caves and my buddy is not Cave certified yet.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations and contact info for an instructor for these classes? I would rather take them closer to home if possible as travel time and $$ may be somewhat limited.

Any info on who teaches, what classes you took from them, and why you recommend them would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Cave Diver,
You might give Eric a call at Oceanic Ventures. Their phone is 713-523-dive.

Good Luck,
Larry

daylight once bubbled...
Cave Diver,
You might give Eric a call at Oceanic Ventures. Their phone is 713-523-dive.

Good Luck,
Larry

Thanks for the reference. Can you provide any insight as to this recommendation? Personal experience, etc?

how close you are. You might try American Diving in South Padre Island, 956-761-2030. Ask For Tim O'Leary. This is the HQ for NAUI Technical operations. Tim is the Director and teaches allot of classes there.

Friggincold once bubbled...
how close you are. You might try American Diving in South Padre Island, 956-761-2030. Ask For Tim O'Leary. This is the HQ for NAUI Technical operations. Tim is the Director and teaches allot of classes there.

I'm on the Gulf Coast, close to the Louisiana border. Padre is one of the alternates we discussed.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Cave Diver, for background you might want to take a look at this article on the Brine Seep Expedition in the Gulf of Mexico:

http://www.scubadiving.com/feature/brineseep/

Three of the guys on that team that I know of, Mike Gault of Austin [mikegault@cavediver.com] and Bill Graham [bill.graham@cavediver.com] and Chuck Noe [ChuckNoe@cavediver.com] of Houston provide the type of instruction that you are seeking. I take non-technical instruction from Mike and think highly enough of him that I drive to Austin for it. Chuck gave a speech on technical diving at last year's SeaSpace, which unfortunately I missed. Bill is going to be giving my daughters their instruction when and if they're ready. All three are scrupulously honest guys and all three are independent.

CD:

I would second the recommendation on Chuck Noe. He is a great guy, extremely knowledgable, and I have known him for years. If you run out of options, let me know. I run classes out of Pensacola.

chickdiver once bubbled...
CD:

I would second the recommendation on Chuck Noe. He is a great guy, extremely knowledgable, and I have known him for years. If you run out of options, let me know. I run classes out of Pensacola.

Funny everyone should recommend Chuck and the Brine Seep Project...

Chuck is the instructor mentioned in my original post who is no longer teaching.

One of my dive buddies is a NAUI CD and also a IANTD Tech instructor. This buddy took me up through Advanced Nitrox. However, he has not actively been teaching Tech classes, so was unable to continue my training. My buddy is good friends with Harold, captain and owner of the Sea Searcher II, and is the one who originally suggested Chuck Noe to further my training. He wrote to him on my behalf regarding this, and the following is an excerpt from Chuck's reply:

Thanks for your inquiry but I am not actively teaching at this time. I am instead focusing all of my resources on cave exploration projects in Florida and on the Mexico/US border.

From all of the references I have gotten it seems as if Chuck would have been an ideal choice.

Chickdiver, we are checking into a few other options at the moment, including Hal Watts in the Ocala area. I was however, aware that you also did this sort of training and was intending to inquire further with you about it. Shoot me a PM and I will discuss some tentative details and see how our schedules might coincide.

I'm still open to any other suggestions that might be out there, thanks for all the great replies!

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Our next step on the ladder would be Technical Nitrox then Trimix.

I took the normoxic trimix class last year after the adv. nitrox and deep air classes. I was told the technical nitrox was part of the normoxic trimix class. Were you told differently?

Phil

The "Technical Diver" which used to be called "Technical Nitrox" can be combined with "Normoxic Trimix" or done by itself.

Back
Top Bottom