Technical Lecture REBREATHERS! nov 5 & 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeoldiveshop

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Come Join Ye Ol’ Dive Shop of Simi Valley for a Technical Lecture
REBREATHERS!

Nov 5 & 6 please call to RSVP

IN THIS 2-3 HOUR SESSION WE WILL EXPLORE THE AMAZING HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF REBREATHERS OVER THE LAST 100 YEARS! WE WILL ALSO DISCUSS IN DETAIL 2 DIFFERENT REBREATHER MODELS – THE NEW POSEIDON MARK 6 DISCOVERY AND THE FAMILY OF AMBIENT PRESSURE DIVING REBREATHERS: THE EVOLUTION, INSPIRATION, AND EVOLUTION PLUS.
YOU WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE REBREATHERS, TOUCH THEM, VIEW THE ELECTRONICS, WORK WITH SAMPLE PROBLEMS FOR PLANNING AND GET ACQUANTED WITH WHAT IT TAKES TO DIVE ONE OF THESE REMARKABLE PIECES OF GEAR!
In addition there will be an opportunity to sign up for a TRY REBREATHER diving pool session to actually get your hands on this unit and try diving with it.

THE LECTURE WILL BE GIVEN BY JAMES VALENZUELA – OWNER AND OPERATOR OF THE YE OL DIVE SHOP IN SIMI VALLEY. JAMES IS A LONG TIME REBREATHER DIVER AND INSTRUCTOR TRAINER FOR REBREATHERS, TECHNICAL, AND SCUBA. HE IS ALSO A COMMERCIAL, MILITARY, AND SCIENTIFIC DIVING CONSULTANT AND SUPERVISOR.
Outline of the evening:
• Meeting and Greet (coffee and snacks provided)
• Introductions
• History or rebreathers
• Rebreather design
• Rebreather Function and Planning
• Techniques of Rebreather Diving
• Training For Rebreather Diving
• Cost associated with Rebreathers
• Questions and Answers

*THERE WILL BE A $50 CONSUMABLES CHARGE FOR THE POOL SESSION TO TRY THE REBREATHER – This charge covers the cost of the scrubber material used, oxygen sensors, Pure oxygen and diluents for the cylinders.

805-813-8165 R.S.V.P ONLY

Man, if these things cost $50 just for a splash in a pool, I think most of us would be a lot happier on OC!

:wink:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but if I lived closer I would still come out and try it...

Man, if these things cost $50 just for a splash in a pool, I think most of us would be a lot happier on OC!

:wink:

I'm not sure what scrubber material costs for these units, but if I was using one at a demo, I'd definitely want a new scrubber and the unit disinfected before I dove it. I'm not keen on the idea of sharing what is in someone else's lungs. It's not quite the same as donating an OC reg, sharing a loop is a bit more personal IMO.

The cost does seem a bit steep for a few minutes in a pool, but you have to think about considerations like this. The operating cost vs. time for a personal unit is nowhere near this. It's just that big chunk at the beginning that gets you. :)

You are right, the cost in the pool is because we are using a new fill and cleaning the unit after each person. It does seem high, however, there is not a lot of places you can try a few different rebreathers for only $50.00. Considering we have the staff, the units, our oxygen cells, and complete scrubber changes it is really inexpensive. Cost per use when you are actually diving in the ocean and you own the unit is not really too much more than a typical Nitrox dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom