Technical help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luci

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for tech advice:

I will be flying to Papua in Sept with all my dive gear for a week of diving. I usually fly with all gauges and regs as carry on for safe keeping (safe arrival and safe from theft).

However, since I will be touring the area for a while, I wish to ship back (via DHL) ALL my dive gear (gauges and regs as well).

Question: is it truly safe for the gauges and regs (re: lack of pressurization in cargo) to be air shipped and put through a few flights back home to Canada?
(I am aware of the risks of airport cargo handling, but the my concern is about the lack of air pressure control in airplane cargo.)

Cheers,

Luci

I don't think the pressurization should be a problem. Just make sure any computers are turned off and won't accidentally bump a button and turn on.

I'd worry much more about the handling of my equipment, loss, theft, etc. Pack it really well, if you use packing peanuts put your gear in plastic bags first otherwise you'll get styrofoam fuzz over and in everything.

We get equipment all the time via carriers that has traveled by plane, being on an island it's that or the slow.... boat, and that new equipment is ok. But it is also packed very very well.

Chris

Snowbear:
Buy insurance.
If you're really worried about your gauges pack them in an airtight, pressure proof container and they'll stay at 1atm. You could use a small Pelican case but I'm sure something cheaper would be just as good.

The old Scubapro Bendomatic (picture here) came with a rigid O ring sealed container for precisely this purpose. The Bendomatic relied on an air filled bag being compressed at depth to provide trandsuction of pressure, much like an aneroid barometer. They were worried the bag might pop in an unpressurised plane's hold.

Many thanks to all of you that took the time to reply and reassure me about the fate of my gauges!
I'll insure, I'll pack nice and snug, and hope it makes it all back intact. I expect non-descript type bag would also be advisable even though airport "security" can see right through it...
Thanks again!

Luci,

The type of large cargo aircraft you're talking about shipping you're gear back on have a pressurized cargo hold. There is basicly no differance between the cargo version and the passanger version of these aircraft except that the cabin interior is removed and the plane is set up to carry cargo instead of passangers. The cargo area is still pressurized so there should be adverse effects on your gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom