Technical diving off of Nuweiba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am curious if anyone has ever done a technical dive off of Nuweiba in the Sinai, north of Dahab? This is the reputed site of the Red Sea crossing. There seem to be a number of videos on youtube about shallow recreational diving in the area, but none involving technical diving. I am thinking about doing a couple during our next trip to Egypt.

I am curious if anyone has ever done a technical dive off of Nuweiba in the Sinai, north of Dahab? This is the reputed site of the Red Sea crossing. There seem to be a number of videos on youtube about shallow recreational diving in the area, but none involving technical diving. I am thinking about doing a couple during our next trip to Egypt.
The short answer is that you need to organize technical diving through one of the dive shops in Dahab.
Rolf Schmidt from Sinai Divers | Dive the Red Sea email: dahab@sinaidivers.com
He knows everything there is to know about Sinai.

I think you were asking about Taba the crossing location? All of the dive sites and shops are marketed towards Open water divers, but you can go deeper since you have the gear and training.
Taba proper has at least three dive sites for open water divers:
Here is a map from Aquatic world.

One thing I am confused about is where you are looking to dive. Nuweiba is not close to the Taba crossing.

A bit of order and orientation in the Eastern Sinai and the so called "red sea"
Taba is the far northern point that you can get to inside Egypt.
North of Taba is Israel and a city called Eilat. The most northern tip of the "Gulf of Aqaba" is "Um Rush Rush" or Um RashRash" beach inside Eilat, Israel. The Gulf of Aqaba and the Gulf of Suez are the two prongs of the northern red sea that engulf the Sinai Peninnsula The norther Sinai is bordered by the Medditerennean sea and it is a dessert. The read sea reaches south to the Gulf of Aden between Djibouti and Yemen.

The "Taba" area is anywhere from the Israel border crossing and south.
At some point it is no longer "Taba" and it is "Sweir" or "Bir Sweir" about 30 km south of Taba. Local disagree where that exact distinction is drawn.
Bir Sweir is a 15-30 mile stretch of sandy beach that is one resort after another right on the beach.
15 km more south is Ras Al Shaitan area and 20 km south of that is the town of Nuweiba proper.
It is a further 60 km south to get from Nuweiba to Dahab and another 90 km to get from Dahab to Sharm El-Sheikh aka "Sharem".
Sharm El-Sheikh is on the Tiran Straits with boat access to dive sites between Egypt and Sudi Arabia.
The Tiran Straits are the end of the Gulf of Aqaba in the Red Sea
"Ras Mohamed" is the southern most tip of the Sinai penninsula and is 30 km south of Sharm El-Sheikh
Here is a map for Geography:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom