Technical divers using HOG regs deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I would really like to hear from D1 users who dive technical depths around 300 ft. If you do this and can share your opinion that would be great. I am a tech wanabe planning to take a lot of tech training this fall and winter and I really like the features and price of the D1 but saving money should not be the primary consideration for technical regs. If they work great and save me a lot of money though I would love to buy them. Worse case is they get resold for rec use or end up on stage bottles. Also any opinions on 2nd stage would be truly helpfull
GUE trained persons I would love to hear if you get flak about switching to a reg with a longer history.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...s-regs-certain-price-range-6.html#post6347815
reference the one by CaveMD post #56

I have not had mine to 200 but have had them under the ice and to 150 in 37 degree water. Also trusted them on a 500ft traverse in an old limestone mine tunnel.

I have seen a few other posts here by divers stating that they have taken theirs on 200+ ft dives. Just can't find em right now. My plans for this summer are to get my Adv nitrox and deco Procedures if possible from Sue Smith in Michigan. We will most likely do the dives in the Great Lakes. Max depth to around 200 ft. I will be using my HOG's as I know they will work. And I know who services them :D:wink:.

I've had mine to 190+ feet without issue.

Just saw this part of your question. The second stages are one of my favorite points to the regs. Big but not bulky, large easy to use controls. Important for me since the majority of my diving in done in 5mm gloves or even heavier. I don't like little compact seconds as I have had a couple and in cold water were less than optimal for me. Again the thick gloves issue. They are easy to disassemble under water and require no special tools to get the faceplate off. They are not floaty and at the same time do not cause excessive fatigue. This could be a combination of the design and the mouthpiece but I have done 2 hour dives with them in a shallow lake with zero discomfort. If you want more info give me a call now. I'm in till about 5:30 EST just puttering about.

I have some stuff to do to get ready for customers coming down from Canada next Saturday to pick up their new regs and BPW's and my own fun diving on Sunday and Monday.
Be happy to talk with you.

724-255-3765 free if you are on the verizon cell network!

Kim Inge will be setting the world record deep rebreather dive for a woman at innerspace next week. She has HOGs on her bailouts. She's bailed out on practice dives from 500 feet in the past 6 months or so. That deep enough for ya? Try her on rebreatherworld.

250 and no problem. Will be going deeper soon 300+ and I am not worried.

I have a friend here in Seattle who routinely does 200 on his HOGs. We don't have that much that's down in the 300 foot range.

Hi, thanks everybody for all the great information. Sounds like a lot of experience at the 200+ range and nobody saying anything negative which is all good. I am still looking at these regs but my instructor said he would talk to me about a "screaming" deal on some Halcyon regs and I really like to keep the business with his shop when I afford to. If I don't end up with the Halcyon these regs certainly sound like a viable option. The ability to get the rebuild kits and take the service class is a big plus. I think HOG is suppose to be coming out with a new version of a balance piston reg and I would be interested in seeing that also when it happens.
Thanks again.

I've had a several D1 sets below 250 a number of times however I don't think I've had them below 300 - it's been awhile since I've been that deep. The D1's have performed as well as anything else I've owned, including a bunch of Apeks, a couple of ScubaPro's and a Mares that I've owned for a long, long time. How do I rate the Hogs? A couple of my DS4's are more than a decade old and they are starting to get a little long in the tooth - they have issues that it won't be cost effective to correct. They've done me well and I have no concerns about replacing them with new Apeks but made the decision this winter to consolidate my fleet and retire everything but the Hogs. In the long run, the switch won't cost me any reliability or performance that I can detect and will save me a bunch of money.

Come up with your own list of what features you want in a deep-water regulator, rank them in terms of priorities and then start your comparisons. Off the cuff, here's my list:
  1. Reliability. They've been great.
  2. WOB. As good as anything I've got.
  3. Flow rate. They can deliver a shyteload of gas.
  4. Adjustable venturi. Yup.
  5. Adjustable cracking pressure. Yup.
  6. Ease of maintenance. They're easier than most and any competent technician (OK, that may be a fairly rare beast) can handle them. Plus, you can learn to do it yourself.
  7. Cost to maintain. Less than most and parts are readily available.
  8. Cost to purchase. Far less than most.
  9. Bitchin' look. I like the size better than the increasingly popular mini-regs. The trivalent chroming has held up well - I know the color makes some folks Willie willing but I don't much care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom