"tech" rig for a new diver ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a difficult situation with my kids They ALL want to dive and have now ALL had some professional dive training. However I have 5 kids. Right now 2 have OW or JOW certs but the other three are very close. There is NO situation My wife and I will be diving with more than two of them.
The problem is that currently 3 of them fit XXXS BC's but they are ALL beansprouts -growing faster than I can buy clothes for em.
I was scratching my head thinking this was gonna be a waste of good money -XXXS then XXS then XS BC's--all for only a year or two.
Then I saw a Ally backpack/wing tech rig.-It fits me perfectly then adjusting the straps right in tight it fits the smallest of the kids. I jut cannot see a logical reason why not to buy A wing for them as a universal shared BC.
Have I missed something ??

Incidently--this is currently for the 2 older boys but as the others get their certs it will be for all to use

Query -- What is a "tech rig?"

I contend (and have this fight with my local dive shop owner all the time) that there is no such thing as a "tech rig" with regards to a buoyancy control device. There are merely different styles of a BCD.

As you know, some BCD styles have a limited ability to be adjusted while other BCD styles are extremely adjustable and thus can be used to fit many different sizes of people. Are they "tech rigs" just because most "technical divers" use the same style of BCD? Nope -- merely a Buoyancy Control Device that has many, and varied, uses.

BTW, I had this conversation with a student this afternoon so I actually found your post to be amusing.

And yes, a "tech rig" is entirely appropriate for a new diver.

I see nothing wrong with get a rig that can expand/grow with a diver (as long as it is a food fit). Also make sure they understand how to use any piece of equipment.
So many divers, spend x amount of dollars on finding the rig that works from them, from bp/w to jacket bcd's.
I don't necessarily see a bp/w as a "tech" diver rig. I see it more as customizable rig for a frequent diver.

peter--sorry mon I was deliberately doing the black and white thing so theres no question as to the gear I'm refering to.
I can't see any reason why a BP/W setup isn't perfectly fine but then I thought --Maybee theres something I've missed

Its going to be hard for you to go wrong with a couple of backplate/wing setups.
FYI, instead of "tech rig", the term "Hogarthian rig" might tend to raise less eyebrows on this forum.

Depending on the exposure protection your young divers wear, and the weight they normally carry, you might be better off setting them up with a steel backplate instead of aluminum. Most of them weigh somewhere near 6 pounds, so that would take some weight off their belts, weight pouches, or whatever you set up. You can get quite a few different weight harnesses, quick release pockets to use with such a system if a weight belt is not your/their preference.

There are also a lot of folks that swear by the Zeagle Express-Tech BCD to fit a wide variety of different sized divers. If you decide against the backplate setup, you might look that direction.

Safe Diving!!!

Sorry guys--typical--only tell half the story--The reason I thought to use ally was weight for flying.

The total weight difference isn't THAT great. I love the benefits of the steel backplate for my trim, so I put up with the extra couple pounds of using a steel backplate for my tropical travel rig.

Sorry guys--typical--only tell half the story--The reason I thought to use ally was weight for flying.

Put the plate in your carry on and you shouldn't get penalized too heavily...

First you label a backplate as a tech rig and now you're calling Al backplates Ally? You're not speaking our lingo here kazbanz :wink:.

The only problem I see with going with a backplate is being able to work a weightbelt into the system. If you're kids are below 5'3"/160cm in height then typically the standard size backplate will be very long on them, and they'll be forced to wear a weightbelt under their crotch strap, if they can even squeeze a weightbelt between the plate and themselves at all.
You could take out the crotch strap and have them deal with the fit until they grow up. Or you could just buy weight pockets.
If the plate is way too long it may also interfere with the person's kicks, namely bumping their tush.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out if you go this route.

One other problem with backplates is if someone with no knowledge of the system tries to use one, there are usually very small precise details that can be missed that will make the system seem inadequate and unliked by the diver using it. Things like placement and location of D-rings, harness adjustments, gear attachments etc.
Nothing another backplate user can't explain to you. There are also various internet resources at your disposal.

Back
Top Bottom