"tech" rig for a new diver ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey thanks a million folks this is the feedback I was really hoping to get. The setup I've looked at actually has long plate/short plate options.
It also comes with robust pockets on the waist strap which I was told could take 2x2kg weights with no issue--so in essense the waist strap could be the weight belt. -Doing some lateral thinking I wondered if some variation of a WI BC could be used so the weights could be dumped if needed

Hey thanks a million folks this is the feedback I was really hoping to get. The setup I've looked at actually has long plate/short plate options. It also comes with robust pockets on the waist strap which I was told could take 2x2kg weights with no issue--so in essense the waist strap could be the weight belt. -Doing some lateral thinking I wondered if some variation of a WI BC could be used so the weights could be dumped if needed
Find someone who knows the system to set it up right. Getting a tech instructor to help for an hour or two in a pool would be worth every cent!

I tried with weight pockets.......found that the weight belt was much simpler and convenient but then half of my students used no weight, about 40% 4lbs and just a few with 6lbs......more than that it was steel plate and steel tank.
What choice do you have in wing size?

Kazbanz,

The old-style plastic backpack-with-webbing (e.g., from US Divers) seems to work extremely well with young kids (and for adults as well), and costs *very* little from the used market. My eight-year-old twins and ten-year-old did their first scuba ever in my parents' swimming pool this past summer wearing one (from Seatec). (They were not wearing exposure suits, though, nor a BCD.)

Our biggest challenge pertained to the tank: An Al 50 was not available, so my kids used an Al 63, which proved to be way too big--too long and too heavy--even for my ten-year-old (who was 5'3" at the time).

FWIW, at this point I would "never" strap a steel backplate or one of the heavier aluminum backplates on my kids, I would "never" permit them to wear a crotch strap, and I would "never" permit them to wear a continuous harness (their harness would have a standard belt buckle release on the left shoulder strap).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

... and, since I'm listing what I would "never" do, I would "never" allow my kids to wear integrated weights (i.e., weight pockets and such). They will wear a simple rubber weight belt with wire buckle, and practice, practice, practice, doffing it and donning it, again and again and again ...

IMHO, none of this stuff requires instruction from a tech instructor.

I have definitely got a 30kg and 40kg available.-I recall maybee a 20kg

Find someone who knows the system to set it up right. Getting a tech instructor to help for an hour or two in a pool would be worth every cent!
Funnilly enough that is exactly what the local "tech" orientated dive shop suggested.

As a variant of the typical BP&Wing, you might look into Zeagle's Express Tech System. Incredibly versatile, and the adjustments are made simply by putting it on. It's incredibly light for traveling as the BP is made of fabric rather than any metal. Stick with the standard harness though.

Hollis has completely stolen the idea from Zeagle and now makes one that is basically identical as well:

Hollis Gear: RIDE

Also worth considering the SeaSoft TravLite which has a smart back mounted integrated weight system, and pretty easily adjusts to carry pony bottles for kids. My single TravLite has been used on divers from 100 pounds to 275 pounds, and the integrated weight system is much smarter than most front mounted ones. It need soft weights to work perfectly though it could use hard weights I guess.

SeaSoft Scuba Products

A bp&w is perfect for the new diver and for kids. I would get an AL backplate if slim kids are using it unless you typically dive in cold salt water with heavy exposure protection and need more weight. Any small bp & 30 lb or so wing would be fine. If you want weight pockets and something that multiple people can wear easily, the Halcyon Infinity is great. The Cinch system is very easily adjusted. I have the Infinity and love it. You can travel easily with the 1.8 lb AL backplate (as opposed to 6 lb steel) and you can add the 6 lb Single Tank Adapter (STA) for your local diving. Just remove the STA and off you go to travel.

Thanks for the heads up on the "Ride". I'll be sure to try one out. Oxycheq makes something similar, but I don't like their glides nearly as well. These look like they have the nicer glides and they also include a crotch strap. I don't know that Hollis "stole" anything here. It's a natural progression as far as I can see.

I know that some of the purists "abhor" the idea of this evolution of the BP/Wing, but it makes a lot of sense. Easily packable, very lightweight, easily configurable and far more comfortable, they also tend to be far less expensive. I think the price point on the Zeagle Express Tech is only about $250. You'll have to add a few D rings and a crotch strap to make it really usable, but I like it and use it for all but diving with doubles. I would love to see DSS come out with one as I really love his fit and finish.

Hollis has completely stolen the idea from Zeagle and now makes one that is basically identical as well:

Hollis Gear: RIDE

Also worth considering the SeaSoft TravLite which has a smart back mounted integrated weight system, and pretty easily adjusts to carry pony bottles for kids. My single TravLite has been used on divers from 100 pounds to 275 pounds, and the integrated weight system is much smarter than most front mounted ones. It need soft weights to work perfectly though it could use hard weights I guess.

SeaSoft Scuba Products

Last edited:
Hi Folks--I just thought I'd fire through feedback on this one. I took the three smallest kids to 2 LDS and Yep the short BP/W fitted all three of them perfectly with tiny adjustments. We then tried them all in an XXXS BC. with the straps pulled in as tight as possible they again NOW all fit the BC perfectly. It has come down to ecconomics. I can get at least 5 years use out of a BC before the last kid has outgrown it The BC (new) is only $300
the BP/W set up to suit is $1700. My current BC is only 18 months old so I just can't justify the extra cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom