Tech regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Natural

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a good reg that can be broken down underwater if clogged and one that would be suitable for wreck and cave diving. Any recomendations?

I don't think its a good idea to "break anything down" underwater, theres just to much that can go wrong.

I think the best reg. for "tech" diving is the posidon odin/jetstream, I have several and nothing comes close to its performance, hose routing. To my knowladge its the only reg that you can't overbreathe.

The cyclon in a nice reg and I have them as deco regs and a back up on doubles, these can be adjusted underwater, but I don't recomend it.

All of that being said Posidons NEED to be serviced on a regular basis by someone who knows the regulator well, not just someone who took a repair class. There are very few people that do a great job when it comes to Posidons.

Cheers

Apeks makes a great, well respected, bulletproof reg that has outstanding performance, great doubles routing, and the firsts and seconds are simple and reliable, easy to service, and the seconds can be easily taken apart underwater to clear them of debris, sand, etc.

Come on please!

ScubaPro is as good as Apeks.

Moreover, there is nothing wrong with Atomic, Mares, etc.....

hoosier:
Come on please!

ScubaPro is as good as Apeks.

Moreover, there is nothing wrong with Atomic, Mares, etc.....
Have you ever looked inside a ScubaPro reg? There are more pieces and those scare me :wink:

Yes, I looked at it many times. :) However it is a solid and reliable rig.

I am also using Apeks. It is a darn good and simple. And, I know many techies are using DS4/ATX50. But, besides a simplicity, there is other issue that many techies prefer. As you know, it is a part availability and price issues.

jptrealty:
I think the best reg. for "tech" diving is the posidon odin/jetstream, I have several and nothing comes close to its performance, hose routing. To my knowladge its the only reg that you can't overbreathe.

I sincerely doubt you could overbreath any decent quality, medium or high performance reg. Even the SPMK2, which is the lowest level SP reg, supplies 90CFM of air, far more than any 2nd stage can handle. The exception here is that 2 people hyperventilating off the same reg simultaneously in a panic while inflating BCs could demand more air than the 1st stage is capable of putting out. The balanced piston SP regs like the MK25 deliver somewhere around 300CFM, which is about 5 times the capacity of even a high performance 2nd stage, if I remember DA Aquamaster's numbers correctly.

I'm sure the poseidon regs are terrific and they certainly have a good reputation, but to say that they're the "only" regs that you can't overbreath is a stretch. If that were the case, why would so many divers use SP, apeks, etc?

hoosier:
Yes, I looked at it many times. :) However it is a solid and reliable rig.

I am also using Apeks. It is a darn good and simple. And, I know many techies are using DS4/ATX50. But, besides a simplicity, there is other issue that many techies prefer. As you know, it is a part availability and price issues.

Yes, and the fact that Apeks is not regularly producing "upgrades". The issue that one service kit handles every regulator model is great. As I have mentioned in many past posts, the first stage flow rate of regulators is over emphasized when one considers the maximum flow rates of their accompanying second stages.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Scuba Diving Magazine

DiveRite RG 2500 is a good reg at a good price, the face plate is very easy to remove to clear any dirt, leaves whatever is jamming the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom