Tech Reading recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
. If the NSS-CDS book is in rewrite, I'm going to hang on tight to my old one.

Hey Mike that may be sound investment. If you notice out of print editions of "Safe Art of Cave Diving" are selling for $100 plus on ebay and amazon.

karstdvr:
Hey Mike that may be sound investment. If you notice out of print editions of "Safe Art of Cave Diving" are selling for $100 plus on ebay and amazon.

I own 2 copies of that. I loaned bouth out and haven't had any luck in getting either one back! I'm going to have to start house to house raids or something.

In both cases, the book wasn't available and I knew divers going into cave training so I let them use my books.

Are you reading this Adam and Jen?

karstdvr:
This is in a rewrite. I wouldn't discourage anybody from getting the present edition,since there is valuable information from some well known authors. It will be quite awhile before the rewrite is available,but the sneak peak I've seen thus far will make it worth the wait!

I didn't realize. Good to know. When I was reading it I did wonder when a new edition would be coming out.

TheRedHead:
Have you read Gentile's book, LavaSurfer? Couldn't help but notice the quote.
I just finished Deep, Dark and Dangerous. Its a great book and Gary;s writing style is exceptional. He really captures the essence of diving the Doria.

Dive-Aholic, I read Deep Diving by Bret Gilliam. It was a good book but it did focus mostly on air bounce dives. There was good info on equipment if I remember right. its been awhile.

KevRumbo, I will look at te PDF, it looks interesting.

on a side note: I made some calls and found an instructor teaching the "TDI Deco Course and Advanced Nitrox" together for $680 at Splash Dive Center in VA. This did not include the dives, air, Nitrox, or books. It seems a real steep. Any opinions on the price?

I just found a link where Bruce Weinke is coming Manassas VA to speak. I might have to get me into that speech and see what he has to say.

I just bought two of his books on Amazon. They look to be exactly what I am looking for as far as theory goes. The two books I picked up are:
"Basic Decompression Theory and Application, Second Edition"
"Technical Diving in Depth"

LavaSurfer:
I just finished Deep, Dark and Dangerous. Its a great book and Gary;s writing style is exceptional. He really captures the essence of diving the Doria.

Gentile's "Technical Diving Handbook" explains accelerated decompression better than the TDI manuals. Some of the material is a bit out of date, but all of it is interesting.

on a side note: I made some calls and found an instructor teaching the "TDI Deco Course and Advanced Nitrox" together for $680 at Splash Dive Center in VA. This did not include the dives, air, Nitrox, or books. It seems a real steep. Any opinions on the price?

It depends on how much time the instructor spends and how many people in the class. You go over theory, spend quite some time on gear, rigging deco bottles and practicing skills such as lift bags. The isntructor makes 8 dives with you. With the right instructor, it could be a bargain. TDI's courses are very instructor dependant.

Wildcard:
I ordered IANTDs encylopedia about 8 months ago, it was due out "any day"...Still a no show.

Huh? I've had a copy for a couple of years. Is your copy a new version?

Good to know. Thanks Red
In talking with the instructor, I was comfortable and impressed with her lack of being impressed with my DM. She stated that there are many DM's out there with 60 dives and no concept of bouyancy. She wants to be shown not told. I like that. Her outcome is to make me a better diver, not just a Deco Diver.

Dive-aholic:
I didn't realize. Good to know. When I was reading it I did wonder when a new edition would be coming out.

I have seen the outline and contributors,as well as responsible for 2 chapters,and I am a little biased,but I think it will be an up to date revision that will be very good.

LavaSurfer:
...on a side note: I made some calls and found an instructor teaching the "TDI Deco Course and Advanced Nitrox" together for $680 at Splash Dive Center in VA. This did not include the dives, air, Nitrox, or books. It seems a real steep. Any opinions on the price?

My instructor charges $600 for 1 student, $400/student for 2-3 students for a 3 day course.

karstdvr:
I have seen the outline and contributors,as well as responsible for 2 chapters,and I am a little biased,but I think it will be an up to date revision that will be very good.

I'm definitely looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom