Tech Reading recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
Huh? I've had a copy for a
New version, yes. Hope it's worth the wait.

Lavasurfer,
DSAT's Tech Deep Diver book is surprisingly good. It doesn't treat the reader like they are 5 years old, like most PADI pubs, but it is very detailed. It reads easier than the TDI or IANTD material.

LavaSurfer:
Any recommendations for some good tech, decompression reading.

I am looking for info on theory for learning and enjoyment.
Trimix, Dec, Advanced Nitrox, are all something I would like more info on.

Eventually I plan on taking "DSAT Tec Deep Diver" or TDI Deco Course and Advanced Nitrox and just want a head start. Also any recomendations on the previous to names courses, which might be a better option?

I like reading about teory and thought it woul be a great way to pss time on land.

tamorgen:
Lavasurfer,
DSAT's Tech Deep Diver book is surprisingly good. It doesn't treat the reader like they are 5 years old, like most PADI pubs, but it is very detailed. It reads easier than the TDI or IANTD material.

I just recieved an autographed copy :wink: of Gentiles "The Technical Diving Book". Its a good read and covers equipment well.

I also purchased the TDI Decompression procedures manual. WHAT A JOKE!
Worst money I have ever paid. The best thing about it is it contains Navy tables, the downside is they are outdated and clearly states that fact. I learned more from my ERD. I was hoping for something in the TDI beyond the very basics. I think the book was written by a high school student using large font and leaving as much white space as possible to get a better grade by increasing page count. They failed, the book is still thin in page count and content. After seeing the text, it became clear to me that the quality of this class was completely dependent on the instructor and the inwater teaching.

As far as tech the Gentile book wins hands down although its more geared around gear and procedure.

I was going to take the TDI class but now I have some misgivings about TDI.
I will pick up a DSAT Tec Deep Diver book and take a look.

I am very clear on the fact that DECO and Tech are LESS about the manual and MORE about the practical. I like reading about the tech stuff but I just need to get my but in a good class and have some fun blowing bubbles!

LavaSurfer:

With TDI, it's all with the instructor and some are excellent. TDI does have new manual and it's more sophisticated than "Nitrogen will 'ert you" stuff in the old one. The basic precepts of accelerated deco are pretty easy and a lot of the class is about equipment and skills. If you like the instructor and feel it is a good match, there is no reason to switch because of the manual.

The TDI Decompression Procedures and Advanced Nitrox books are crap. The Advanced Nitrox book has a couple decent paragraphs, but that's about it. It's pretty much a joke.

the GUE "Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving" books is pretty good. It doesn't deal allot with gas theories, physics, and some procedures.

Bottom line is the instructor. When I did mine, the instructor was certified to train with TDI, IANTD, and DSAT. He taught the course the same way for everyone. We had about 10 people in the class, and it was divided mostly between TDI and DSAT. Basically, he taught it the way he wanted, and gave you the card that you wanted. The main advantage to the DSAT that I saw was one card gains you everything you need as opposed to three with TDI, but you learn the same stuff. He also recommended those who where getting the TDI certificate buy the DSAT material anyway, because it was written much better.

LavaSurfer:
I just recieved an autographed copy :wink: of Gentiles "The Technical Diving Book". Its a good read and covers equipment well.

I also purchased the TDI Decompression procedures manual. WHAT A JOKE!
Worst money I have ever paid. The best thing about it is it contains Navy tables, the downside is they are outdated and clearly states that fact. I learned more from my ERD. I was hoping for something in the TDI beyond the very basics. I think the book was written by a high school student using large font and leaving as much white space as possible to get a better grade by increasing page count. They failed, the book is still thin in page count and content. After seeing the text, it became clear to me that the quality of this class was completely dependent on the instructor and the inwater teaching.

As far as tech the Gentile book wins hands down although its more geared around gear and procedure.

I am very clear on the fact that DECO and Tech are LESS about the manual and MORE about the practical. I like reading about the tech stuff but I just need to get my but in a good class and have some fun blowing bubbles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom