Tech Instructor recommendations in Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm PADI OW and AOW certified and I'd like to become Nitrox certified when I'm in Puerto Galera next month. After trying to work out which is the best agency and courses to run with, it has become clear that the instructor is more important than the agency or course. With that in mind, I am looking for recommendations of good instructors so I can try and narrow the field a little.

Thanks
Splint

Check out DevonDiver here on the board, an excellent instructor although I'm not sure how close he is to Puerto Galera.

Most dive shops can do you a nitrox course and in PG there are also a lot that could do a great course.Tech Asia ( I think) come recommended. I have done training with Paul Neilsen, (tech-divers.com), and learned a huge amount. I'm planning on going back early next year.

Most dive shops can do you a nitrox course and in PG there are also a lot that could do a great course.Tech Asia ( I think) come recommended. I have done training with Paul Neilsen, (tech-divers.com), and learned a huge amount. I'm planning on going back early next year.
I wonder if "Daddy" can remember the last time that he taught a recreational nitrox course; trimix certainly yes but basic nitrox?

One of my friends did the PADI Nitrox course with Asia Divers two weeks ago, only takes half a day if you have already done the basics like read the manual.

I wonder if "Daddy" can remember the last time that he taught a recreational nitrox course; trimix certainly yes but basic nitrox?

Yeah, you may have a point there. Bet it would be one hell of a nitrox course!

Not to belittle my own but you can do Nitrox online and never even meet an Instructor or touch a tank. I would think it is not the most instructor important course really the way it is now set up. I also think price is the only difference between agencies although some teach more then others but they all agree on the basics - analyse, label, understand MOD, set computer, breathe.

If you're interested in Advanced Nitrox then that's quite a lot different.

The title of your post mentions "tech instructor" - are you actually looking for a more advanced technical course, or just your garden variety recreational Nitrox course, which is not a tech course.

For OW/AOW and many other classes - yeah, it's all about the instructor, and sometimes about the agency. But if you're simply looking for a basic recreational Nitrox class, agency and instructor don't matter all that much. You can do most of it online. (I did mine 20 years ago before online courses and when dives were still required, and even then the instructor was not all that involved.)

The title of your post mentions "tech instructor" - are you actually looking for a more advanced technical course, or just your garden variety recreational Nitrox course, which is not a tech course?

I believe the OP is trying to narrow down the market by seeking a more experience instructor - tech credentials being a potential indicator of a wider breadth of subject expertise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom