Tech instructor for Portland, OR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to take on decompression diving and looking for alternatives in the Portland, OR area.

Looking at the different course descriptions, TDI DECO seems more sensible to me than PADI TEC40/TEC45, but I'm open to suggestion(s)

Thanks!!

Just curious but where are you planning on conducting these deco dives? Not much deco diving in the Willamette and some up in the Hood Canal area but may I suggest you find training in the area you plan on diving. There is a reason there aren't many TDI instructors in Portland. You may want to look north like possibly Olympia or Tacoma or better yet come up to Vancouver Island for some outstanding diving and there are a few good tech instructors to choose from.
If you PM me I could recommend a couple.

there are awesome instructors up here in the greater seattle area.

Hoodsport and Dive

You are going to have to travel to do the class/skils and experience dives. I would suggest broadening your area of consideration to at least include Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle.

Do you have a buddy for this class? Or for after class? What dives are you looking at doing over the next year or so?

TDI decompression proceedures is commonly taught in conjunction with advanced nitrox (allowing you access to higher O2 content gases). At least locally, very few divers are doing deco dives on air in the sub 120-130ft range though. Some sort light trimix is pretty much the norm. I thought TDI had a recreational/light trimix offering, but don't see it on the website. Wedivebc would know what its called.
In the IANTD universe its called adv recreational trimix
Adv. Recreational Trimix Diver - IANTD - World Headquarter

UTD has something similar called "Rec3" without deco training and "tech1" when including deco training.

In any case, a number of us can offer suggestions on what might be a good fit for you course-wise - once we have an idea of what you dives you aspire to do.

I thought TDI had a recreational/light trimix offering, but don't see it on the website. Wedivebc would know what its called.

Yes it is called helitrox and it is more of a deco procedures with helium than a recreational level but yes there is a trimix/light in the TDI system. I am actually an instructor for that level.

I second what Jeff and rjack are saying. Expand your search up north to Seattle/Tacoma. There are a multitude of tech instructors up here representing numerous training agencies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom