Tech Friendly Keys Dive Ops...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do they know if you "accidentally" went into deco? Do they check your computer?

I think Pete means that if you come up in deco and your computer locks up, you don't get back in until your computer unlocks. Even if we looked at your computer (which we don't, unless you can't figure our how to tell us your depth and bottom time after a dive), we wouldn't be able to tell if you went into deco without a download.

I specifically tell folks in my boarding safety briefing that deco is not allowed on recreational trips, but if you find yourself in deco, honor your decompression commitment, no harm, no foul. I then go on to tell folks that some Suunto computers will give a deco -like violation for blowing off the safety stop.

I am baffled by your second choice. You say they are intolerant of accidentally going into deco, yet they are your second choice for technical diving only because of the two hour drive to key West. Something is not adding up for me, and I need an explanation. I thought they did not do deco diving at all, and it sounds like they are even intolerant of accidental deco. How does that make them a near top choice for deco diving?

Do I really need to explain to you the difference between planned decompression diving and accidentally going into deco, or are you just being obtuse?

And thanks for the nice words, Pete. We are currently tied in on the Wilkes Barre. I believe all 14 rebreather divers are planning a 45 minute bottom time at 250, or about a 5 hour run time today, although some of the participants are not prepared for the 52 degree bottom temps I expect. I have a few diving wet, and one of my divers ripped his brand new Santi recovering a porthole from the Rhien yesterday. The haul from the Rhien was pretty good, one porthole, a couple of brass plates in German denoting what room they were in, and the best IMO was a blue ironstone glazed wash basin, probably from one of the officers staterooms. The wreck has collapsed substantially from when we were there 2 years ago.

Reactions: mdb
Because any good tech diver should be intolerant of going into deco accidentally.
Exactly. I think it was Doppler who said that all technical dives should be treated as formal affairs. I don't like this sneaking into deco crap.

Do I really need to explain to you the difference between planned decompression diving and accidentally going into deco, or are you just being obtuse?

No, I am not obtuse. I am simply trying to figure out what is being said here. It seems to me to be a mass of contradictions. Perhpas I misunderstood what has been said over several threads, but I got the sense that you run tech only trips and you run rec only trips. It seemed strange in one post to say you run a tech friendly trip that does not allow divers to go into decompression. If someone goes into deco by two minutes and does the required deco obligation, how do you know if it was an accident or if the person decided to go into deco for two minutes intentionally? How do you know it happened at all?

In your post you have new information regarding a locked out computer. That is a different matter altogether, and perhaps I am starting to get an idea of what it means to be "one of the least tolerant boats" in this regard.

I am baffled by your second choice. You say they are intolerant of accidentally going into deco, yet they are your second choice for technical diving only because of the two hour drive to key West. Something is not adding up for me, and I need an explanation. I thought they did not do deco diving at all, and it sounds like they are even intolerant of accidental deco. How does that make them a near top choice for deco diving?

I believe the problem is some imprecise wording. I believe the Spree does rec trips where they do not permit "tech gear" (RB, doubles & stages) and they do not allow planned deco diving; and they do tech trips where Planned deco is the norm. So, on rec trips you will find single tanks (I'm not sure what they do with SM) and maybe pony bottles of limited size and use. Accidental deco happens and, for safety sake, those deco obligations must be honored or your diving must be curtailed. Repeated errors in dive planning may get the crew's attention and some free training.

I think common sense has to apply john. For instance, Frank doesn't allow doubles on his tec trips...I know of very few people that do planned deco in that setup. However if on one of his rec trips there is a diver that was hanging beneath the boat for 20minutes, I'm sure an eyebrow may be raised. The point is that the rules are there for a reason. If crew were to get in the water with that diver to see what is going on would they find a diver just checking out the fish but not in deco? If so...cool. But if they find a guy that has been there for 20 minutes and still hasn't cleared the computer...that's a problem. The diver is either cavalier and oblivious to safety, or deliberately planned 30 minutes of backgas deco on a recreational trip that clearly states that all divers shall stay within no deco limitations. Either way I'm sure Frank would be less than happy about it.

One thing about the MV Spree that speaks volumes about Wookie and crew's dedication to diver safety. They don't just do a roll call. Someone will actually talk to you and look into your eyes to be sure that you're fine after a dive. It's anything but invasive and it's there to get past any denial by the diver. Outstanding in my eyes and I can't wait for our trip next week.

I believe the problem is some imprecise wording. I believe the Spree does rec trips where they do not permit "tech gear" (RB, doubles & stages) and they do not allow planned deco diving; and they do tech trips where Planned deco is the norm. So, on rec trips you will find single tanks (I'm not sure what they do with SM) and maybe pony bottles of limited size and use. Accidental deco happens and, for safety sake, those deco obligations must be honored or your diving must be curtailed. Repeated errors in dive planning may get the crew's attention and some free training.

I think common sense has to apply john. For instance, Frank doesn't allow doubles on his tec trips...I know of very few people that do planned deco in that setup. However if on one of his rec trips there is a diver that was hanging beneath the boat for 20minutes, I'm sure an eyebrow may be raised. The point is that the rules are there for a reason. If crew were to get in the water with that diver to see what is going on would they find a diver just checking out the fish but not in deco? If so...cool. But if they find a guy that has been there for 20 minutes and still hasn't cleared the computer...that's a problem. The diver is either cavalier and oblivious to safety, or deliberately planned 30 minutes of backgas deco on a recreational trip that clearly states that all divers shall stay within no deco limitations. Either way I'm sure Frank would be less than happy about it.
These posts are describing a policy that is very different from the impression I was getting from the other posts. To understand the context, you have to follow the conversation thread through a long and winding trail through the thread that spawned this one. It started with someone posting that he liked to use the old Navy air tables because he could clear deco without the "No Deco!" diver operator knowing he had done it. He was asked how this would be different from someone clearling a couple minutes of deco on a computer. If the diver came up within the normal period of time, how would anyone know that he had fulfilled a two minute deco obligation on the dive, intentional or not? The response was that there were indeed dive operators that will check the computers of their divers after a dive to make sure the log did not indicate any deco, and if they found such a thing, the diver was held out of future dives.

An example was given of the Shearwater Petrel in tech mode. It considers the requirement of a one minute safety stop to be deco, and will indicate it as such in its log. Veteran users of this computer will intentionally go a couple of minutes into deco on a typical recreational dive, doing nothing more than a 3 minute safety stop (or even less) to clear it. The implication in the thread was that some operators will check the log and ban such a diver from the next dive. That seemed a bit aggressive to me.

I used to dive rec trips on the Spree often when they worked the FGB. The only time I ever saw the crew react to a deco dive was if the diver surfaced with a computer in violation. And their response was usually to get the diver back in the water before the lock-out occurred.

As I recall, Frank emphasized no planned deco, clear any accidental deco obligation before surface, and do good rest stops. (There were 3 down lines to 40 ft with a suspended reg at 15 ft on one.) I don't think I ever did 20 minutes on the down lines but I often did 10 or more minutes as I worked my Oceanic TLBG back into the green. I never made the boat wait on me but always tried to be the first in on a dive and was usually among the last out. There were always things to see.

These posts are describing a policy that is very different from the impression I was getting from the other posts. To understand the context, you have to follow the conversation thread through a long and winding trail through the thread that spawned this one. It started with someone posting that he liked to use the old Navy air tables because he could clear deco without the "No Deco!" diver operator knowing he had done it. He was asked how this would be different from someone clearling a couple minutes of deco on a computer. If the diver came up within the normal period of time, how would anyone know that he had fulfilled a two minute deco obligation on the dive, intentional or not? The response was that there were indeed dive operators that will check the computers of their divers after a dive to make sure the log did not indicate any deco, and if they found such a thing, the diver was held out of future dives.

An example was given of the Shearwater Petrel in tech mode. It considers the requirement of a one minute safety stop to be deco, and will indicate it as such in its log. Veteran users of this computer will intentionally go a couple of minutes into deco on a typical recreational dive, doing nothing more than a 3 minute safety stop (or even less) to clear it. The implication in the thread was that some operators will check the log and ban such a diver from the next dive. That seemed a bit aggressive to me.

We try to assume that our divers are adults. At least until proven otherwise, and the vast majority are. We ask for depth and bottom time when you come up, not to be a nanny, but to record it so that if we have to evacuate you by helo, and the chamber we evacuate you to can't read a computer, we can send you with a record of what you have told us. This is a holdover from 20 years ago, when many divers did not use a computer, and they gave us depth and bottom time from a watch and depth gage.

The only time we look at your computer is if you can't read it yourself because you haven't read the manual, and don't understand how to get it into log mode following a dive. We don't do this to find out if you've been in deco, but to record your depth and bottom time as explained above. We aren't the scuba police, we are merely trying to collect information in the event we need to send you for further medical intervention. That hasn't happened in a number of years (like since 2005), maybe we need to update our policies, but it works for us.

The only time we will ban you from another dive is if you lockout your computer, or you run completely out of air. I say air, but I use the term generically to mean breathing gas, specifically back gas. I have to think that if you run out of gas, I need to sit down with you and teach you some gas management skills. I am happy to do so. Your entrance back in the water depends 100% on how readily you learn those skills. If you have a hard time learning from me, you aren't likely to get back in the water soon. I will also let you back in if your trip leader agrees that they will be responsible for your life if you choose not to learn gas management skills. See what I did there, and what I said?

I believe that if you lock up your computer, you need to follow your computer's instructions. I am a great advocate of using Shearwater products, because they don't lock up. I have to assume that you chose your computer for a specific reason, with us all being adults here, and if you choose some crappy computer that locks you up, you must have chosen it for the added safety factor of going into deco, or violating some other stupid computer rule, means you should sit out the duration of the lockout for safety's sake. After all, am I smarter than the designer of your computer? Do I have the same access to references 100 miles from internet that the person who thought it was a good idea for your computer to sit you out 24 hours for a violation? I can't possibly be smarter than the idiot who designed a computer to default to 50% O2 79% N2 at midnight, can I? So, if you bought one of those computers it must be because you like the safety features of that particular computer, far be it from me to allow you to ignore those same features.

I see over and over threads on SB about how someone wants a good, cheap computer. Seems to me an either/or, but what do I know. I'm just a dumb boat captain.

---------- Post added July 12th, 2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

I would like to add 2 ops to the list, Conch Republic Divers and Finz Dive Center. I know Pete and Capt. Gary don't see eye to eye on every little thing, but CRD has a booster and pumps rebreather cylinders and blends trimix. Finz Dive center in Key West at the Hurricane Hole Marina is very tech friendly. They typically get gas from me, they can pp blend trimix, I can boost it for them if I'm in town, and they will take you anywhere from the Curb to the Kendrick, and to the Saufly and Fred T Berry if you have the numbers.

Again to clarify: these are the boats I would use and in the order I would use them for tech diving here in the Keys. I only feel I should criticize boats that I would actually use, so there are any number of boats left out either because I won't use them or because I don't know that they offer tech trips. My personal list of rec friendly boats in the Keys would look a bit different than this. Please feel free to recommend any other ops you like and be sure to tell us why!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom