Tech Friendly Keys Dive Ops...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is from a request in another thread where a user claims that the Keys has mostly 'nanny dive ops'. I disagree. The Keys has a unique blend of diving. There's a lot to see shallow, including lots of wrecks in the 30-40fsw range. There's also some great artificial reefs that are somewhat deep as well as a few screamers that are very deep. These are the dive ops I would choose to do tech dives on, in about the order I would choose them. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, but hopefully users will add their own list and make it that way. I'm certain to ruffle a few feathers by posting this. Oh well.

FWIW, being tech friendly does not mean that they don't take tech diving seriously. None of the dive ops tolerate accidental deco very well. They expect you to dive your plan and that your plan complies with the nature of the trip you're on.

First choice: Rainbow Reef. With the addition of Capt Jim Wyatt, they are entering the tech arena and it's none too soon. This is by far the most professional dive operation in the Keys and it shows. Glad to see them add Jim and his expertise to their cadre of instructors and captains.

Second Choice: MV Spree. This is my second choice for two reasons: it's a two hour plus drive to Key Wasted and it's a Liveaboard. I love Captain Wookie and his crew and the boat is large and spacious. That being said, this is probably one of the least tolerant boats when it comes to accidental decos. I have never had a problem with that, but if you're a careless or cavalier diver, then they just aren't for you.

Third choice: Silent World. OK, their boats are kind of slow and aging, but they are very flexible and accommodating. They are a solid choice if you're wanting to do tech.

Fourth choice: Horizon Divers. Dan and the gang have a long tradition of Keys tech diving. Unfortunately, I don't think they like me or ScubaBoard much, so I usually make other choices. They are competent and their boats more than adequate but I just don't feel that welcome there.

Fifth choice: I go elsewhere. :D There are other dive ops offering tech diving down here, but either I don't like their service or more probably that they've made it plain that they don't like me. I dive a lot with ScubaBoarders and if you want to tech dive with me then contact me first and let me (or Elena) book the dive for you. FWIW, this list changes often as attitudes change, so you might see some dive ops appear or disappear on this list as they do.

I'm surprised to hear Rainbow Reef is promoting tech. I loved diving with them a few years ago however they were anything but tech back then. They wouldn't even fill my tanks with nitrox and I had to go down the road for fills!

Back then, the techs in my group (I was not) went down the road to Silent World to arrange tech dives.

That is not to say I dislike Rainbow Reef, they were just exactly a "nanny dive op" 2 years ago. Some people are all about that - and and the time I was one of them. Kind of cool to hear they've added an accomplished cave instructor to their ranks. I also dove with Florida Keys Dive Center that year. They had an almost identical operation to Rainbow Reef.

Capt Jim Wyatt was at another dive op for a bit... but I think this is a far, far better gig for him and like the fact that Rainbow Reef is open to letting him do his thing. FWIW, I like that other dive op just fine, Ocean Divers, but I don't think they have a tech program at this time. Hopefully we'll hear from someone about that sooner rather than later.

How do they know if you "accidentally" went into deco? Do they check your computer?

I'm supressed that your #1 pick is an Op that has been in the tech game since breakfast...regardless of Jims involvement there.

Silent world I believe just took delivery of the new boat, and from what I hear it's a brute.

I have never had the issues with Dan or his crew that you have, but perception is everything I guess. It is odd to have a shop where virtually everyone that works there is full Trimix...and when I was down there in May, we were 4 for 4 hot dropping within 10' of the wreck.

I am baffled by your second choice. You say they are intolerant of accidentally going into deco, yet they are your second choice for technical diving only because of the two hour drive to key West. Something is not adding up for me, and I need an explanation. I thought they did not do deco diving at all, and it sounds like they are even intolerant of accidental deco. How does that make them a near top choice for deco diving?

I'm assuming he means on franks tech trips.

I'm assuming he means on franks tech trips.

Then why make the intolerance of going into deco accidentally a key point?

Then why make the intolerance of going into deco accidentally a key point?

Because any good tech diver should be intolerant of going into deco accidentally.

Frank and Melanie run one of the best boats in the business. They do all sorts of big dives, but they also are committed to everyone getting home safe, even people who might think that because it's a tech trip they can just wing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom