Tech diving regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required. Been doing research myself for half a year now and still haven't decided. I know regulators now are all pretty good as long as they have a balanced piston/diaphragm and are the top-line product from a reputable company. However, regulators are important and I'd like to make sure I am getting the best.

So I am diving in Canada and will be doing ice diving. Regs need to be very cold water-resistant. And will probably be doing some pretty deep dive so it better be reliable. Here are the few options that I have, what's your opinion on this?

Halcyon H50+Halo: I am able to get this pretty cheap and I heard good things about halcyon reg. I know it's made by Scubapro but I heard this is an older version of Scubapro? Not many people in my area use Halcyon regulators. (Can get them serviced easily, not a big deal)(Not sure how good they're cold water)

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.

Scubapro MK19EVO+G260: I heard this is basically the Halcyon but more expensive. In the second stage not sure if G260 is better or Halcyon Halo is better.

Thanks, guys. Really need some help here.

Halcyon H50+Halo: this is an older version of Scubapro

Scubapro MK19EVO+G260: I heard this is basically the Halcyon but more expensive. In the second stage not sure if G260 is better or Halcyon Halo is better.

Halcyon has no equivalent of the Scubapro MK19/G260 regulator at all. The MK19 first stage is a new first stage that came out this year, 2021. Halcyon has a "G250" but no G260.

I'd go with a MK25 or the Mk19 for first stages and any of the s600, G260, A700 and the D420 second stages.

Apeks. Excellent regs, excellent value. Used by most technical divers I know. They're sealed so can be used in crappy water.

I've about 9 Apeks first stages including a couple of DSTs for bailout/decompression. The only non Apeks regs are a couple of Scubapro Mk25s for sidemount diving as the longer format of the turret works for me.

ScubaPro are expensive compared to Apeks (obviously not talking about the Apeks rip-off "give me all your money you novice diver" which are completely unnecessary)

For our conditions I would go for mk17/mk19 or equivalent H50. Both G250V/Halo and G260 would work well. Apeks are also great regs you cannot go wrong with them and all these they can be serviced locally with no issues.
Arguably MK19 provides cleaner routing but they are way more expensive. I use Mk17 with no issues.

I would NOT recommend to go with MK25 for you back gas. While they work in the river but Toby can be a gamble in spring and during winter in general. You have to be careful not to overcool them on the surface especially ice diving. To me if you want the fifth port just get mk19 or apeks dst.

In cold water (and I am geographically near you diving the Great Lakes), it is either SPMK-17, HOG D1, Deep6, or my (top pick) double hose (Kraken or PRAM)..... :crafty:

The H50 fits the pick too as it is a MK-17 clone.

I will not dive a piston reg (aside from my MK-2 on a pony) in cold water....

Hello, guys --

Just to be clear, Halcyon does NOT have an equivalent to the G260 and the Mark 19 or the Mark 17 Evo, either one. The Halo is closer to the G250V and the H50 is a Mark 17 non-Evo. In other words if you want a G260 and a Mark 17 Evo or the newest Mark 19 you will need to buy the real thing, the Scubapro.

I am having deja vu here!

James

Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required. Been doing research myself for half a year now and still haven't decided. I know regulators now are all pretty good as long as they have a balanced piston/diaphragm and are the top-line product from a reputable company. However, regulators are important and I'd like to make sure I am getting the best.

So I am diving in Canada and will be doing ice diving. Regs need to be very cold water-resistant. And will probably be doing some pretty deep dive so it better be reliable. Here are the few options that I have, what's your opinion on this?

Halcyon H50+Halo: I am able to get this pretty cheap and I heard good things about halcyon reg. I know it's made by Scubapro but I heard this is an older version of Scubapro? Not many people in my area use Halcyon regulators. (Can get them serviced easily, not a big deal)(Not sure how good they're cold water)

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.

Halcyon is more Scubapro than Scubapro is being Halcyon and Halcyon doesn’t have equivalent product for Scubapro MK19 Evo which is environmentally sealed diaphragm with rotating turret and fifth port. Halcyon H50 is Scubapro MK17 and h75 is Scubapro MK25.

Given the fact that you are in Canada (possibly colder waters) and going with GUE (mostly backmount) with addition of getting good prices, I would pick H50D if i was in your shoes.

I just got servicing kits from scubagaskets specially put together with viton o rings the day after I asked for my MK17 and I don’t think so you will ever feel difficulty to obtain service kits.

What did you go for in the end?

I am travelling across Canada soon and have an Atomic T3. I think it should be fine on the West Coast, but in Ontario, not so much. Looking at picking up an Atomic M1 or another suitable (very) cold water reg.

Halcyon has no equivalent of the Scubapro MK19/G260 regulator at all. The MK19 first stage is a new first stage that came out this year, 2021. Halcyon has a "G250" but no G260.

I'd go with a MK25 or the Mk19 for first stages and any of the s600, G260, A700 and the D420 second stages.
I have used the mk25 Evo and older mk25 with s600 in temps lower then 32F bottom temp and never had any issues with my scubapro regulator

Back
Top Bottom