Tech divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any tech divers in the group anywhere close to the north Texas area? I'm wanting to go out and observe some tech setups. As a new diver, I haven't had the opportunity to see how others set up their gear. It's one thing to lurk in some tech subforums and just listen to their setups, but I'm a visual person and need to see it. There are just so many different products out there for divers, I want to start getting an idea of what some of them do and how they are used.

On a seperate topic, I just traveled back to Missouri for a visit back to my hometown and stopped by the dive shop in Joplin. In just a couple of minutes, those guys showed me a couple of cool little simple items I didn't know existed for my computer, and now I'm wondering why my dive shop in Texas didn't introduce me to these cool little gadgets. It got me thinking about the whole personal customer service in relation to scuba equipment thing. I like my dive shop, but after a few minor little annoyances, I'm beginning to wonder how much I like my dive shop. I'm a pretty patient guy, so I'll give them a few more redeeming chances.

Anyone have any specific "good customer service" stories on the dive shops in Texas? I went to Scubatoys a while back just to look at wetsuits, and the guy ended up bringing me suit after suit to try on. I felt like I was in a department store. It was great. I felt like that guy was totally into making sure I got the right suit for my needs, and he didn't care how long it took or how many suits he had to hang back up. I really appreciate stuff like that.

PM sent. :D

I think I should qualify my post just a bit.

I've only got like 20 dives in so far. So I'm not going tech just yet. I think by my post some think I'm going nuts with jumping into things I have no idea about. All I want to do right now is figure out what is out there as far as equipment configurations go. I've got a nice jacket style BC, but when I dive, I feel like I'm a great big weighted blob of scuba gear, with a couple of legs sticking out. I just want to refine a bit. I'd like to look into a back inflate BC or maybe bp/w setup. But for me to do that, I either have to find someone willing to let me try out their equipment in a pool somewhere, or, just go diving with them and watch alot.

You realize it's not my fault though. I had no idea 6 months ago diving could be so cool with so many different directions you can go and learn about. I feel like I just woke up from a coma and I have to learn as much as I can about this awesome adventure! So everytime I come up with a totally new post direction, just bear with me, maybe roll your eyes a bit, and help me figure out where I'm going!:D

K, it was good chatting back and forth....hope to see you at a pond soon. :wink:

K, hang in there. There is a lot out there to learn from other divers about what works and what doesnt. With the weather warming up there will be a bunch of opportunities to go out and dive with lots of different people. A good way to meet up with new divers, especially in the DFW area, is to join one of the local dive clubs.

Good luck & dive safe,

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom