Tech course options Puerto Galera/Subic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

PADI AOW diver here looking to further my certification in the Philippines. I'm keen to do a dive trip later this year covering Puerto Galera and Subic Bay. While I'm there I'd like to do some courses covering Trimix, Tech Wreck and Extended Range Diving.

There seems to be a range of different courses by different dive operators from different certification organisations and I'm finding it difficult to make a decision as to who I should go with.

I guess I want to know which certifications are most widely accepted and who are good instructors. Anyone able to offer any ideas on which direction I should take?

For what it's worth, becoming a dive instructor is not part of my grand plan, I just want to be able to go to pretty much any dive site anywhere in the world and dive.

Thanks
Splint

You'll need to do Nitrox (if you haven't already) then Advanced Nitrox & Decompression Procedures first I think (depending on agnency)

Even though you say you don't plan to do DM, I'd suggest doing Rescue as well

How many dives do you have so far and how long are you planning to spend in the Philippines?

hi Splint,

As mentioned above you'll need to do Nitrox, and Advanced Nitrox - with IANTD Advanced Nitrox can be combined with some trimix work. With TDI Adv Nitrox with Deco Procedures covers the same bases but without Trimix. All IANTD certs and TDI certs will be equally accepted worldwide.

Extended Range officially is a TDI course in Air diving to 55m; so if you're going the trimix route then not entirely necessary, and can be replaced by Normoxic Trimix with either agency. Although the experience can be useful.

Tech Wreck, or Advanced wreck will be the same with either agency but I highly recommend leaving this to last and getting as much experience on doubles as possible first. Adv wreck requires a competent back fin, helicopter turn, as well as as much familiarity with all the techniques and procedures as possible. At least that's with me!

You should have a good time with any of the folks mentioned above, they all have good levels of experience and standards. If you decide to add Malapascua to your list then drop me a line as we have sharks, wrecks and the rest!

Good luck and enjoy your diving,

Matt.

Thanks,

I would have about 300 dives so far. I was thinking of a couple of weeks in PI but it sounds like I will need more than that. My only certifications are PADI OW and AOW.

Thanks
Splint

You can combine several of the courses as matt mentioned, and a lot of the theory overlaps between courses which cuts down on the study compenent if you do them concurrently

You can also get the books in Australia and read them before you leave

Most important thing though IMO is to give yourself adequate opportunity to practice the skills learned and not be trying to rush to finish a course before you have to go home

I would suggest Rescue, Nitrox & Adv. Nitrox/Deco to start with. You could knock that off in two weeks pretty comfortably. Then do lots of diving to practice (and have fun!), and come back to do Extended Range/Trimix & Wreck over another 2+ weeks

Ditto on Kevrumbos suggestions as just came back from both. Excellent.

Tech Asia Divers Institute Offers Technical Diving Courses in Puerto Galera The Philippines -Puerto Galera
Dive at Boardwalk Dive Center Official Website - -Subic Bay

+ 1 on this!!!! This is serious diving we are talking about and passing from one course to the next with little experience in between is in my oppinion not the way to go. These are serious dives with serious equipment and I believe it would be best to do your first certs (ex: advanced Nitrox and decompression procedures), then just spend some time getting experience with dives within this range... When you feel you are really comfortable with that level, go on back for another course...

We aren't talking Padi OW or AOW here... Tech diving requires knowledge, skill and experience that can only be acquired with time in the water!:coffee:

Mark Cox is a great instructor (and great guy). I would highly recommend Ethei Robrigado (who is freelancing out of captain gregs I think) as a Tech instructor (he was mine). He is VERY experienced and a great instructor. He knows his stuff and has been doing this for a very long time...

PG is a great place to do this! You'll have a ball!:coffee:

You can combine several of the courses as matt mentioned, and a lot of the theory overlaps between courses which cuts down on the study compenent if you do them concurrently

You can also get the books in Australia and read them before you leave

Most important thing though IMO is to give yourself adequate opportunity to practice the skills learned and not be trying to rush to finish a course before you have to go home

I would suggest Rescue, Nitrox & Adv. Nitrox/Deco to start with. You could knock that off in two weeks pretty comfortably. Then do lots of diving to practice (and have fun!), and come back to do Extended Range/Trimix & Wreck over another 2+ weeks

i would also recommend you to get some more experience

At 80meters deep there are no breaks

Once you experience one crazy dive at 40m where something goes wrong, or almost wrong, you will realize you need a lot of experience to go deeper :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom