Tec training in freshwater or ocean? Which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO I would start in a lake/spring/quarry. The environment in general is less stressful/challenging than in the ocean. No currents, no swells, easier on buoyancy, easier to deco in and easier on task-loading. Diving is about being comfortable in the water, get comfortable in a less challenging conditions and then progress to ocean. I would also change my last deco gas from 100% (quarry) to around 75% for ocean diving. Swells can have an impact depth/buoyancy and lower % deco gas works well here.

I agree with some of the points but ....

Generally the last stop is at 6m (18ft). With swells (not buoyancy) deco'ing on 100% could cause PPO2 issues. With 75 you are not going to stay at 30ft(high PPo2) but will move up thus eliminating high PPo2 when at 18ft or shallower. It also lowers OTU and CNS on longer deco dives thus mitigating O2 risk. It's about managing the dive and not trying to find a problem to the solution/implementation.

I do fear I have derailed this thread. My apology.

You wouldn't have to "start over" in the Atlantic, but there would be things that would be different. Skills with thick gloves are harder! And reaching valves in thick undergarments can be a challenge, too. But the answer really is simple. You learn the skills and the theory (which doesn't change) where you are comfortable, and then you go to the other environment and practice them until they are solid enough to be used on the dives you want them for.

I watched a GUE Tech 1 class being given in the Red Sea this last summer. Every one of the participants intended to do the majority of his or her diving in cold water. But by taking the class where they did, they had the advantage of a LOT of in-water time, and independence from issues with rough water and poor visibility that might have impacted a class at home. They all knew they shouldn't go home and immediately plan a 170 foot dive.

op, if you're moving to florida, then either fresh or salt would be a good choice. my thought for the main reason to do classes in a lake or quarry is - if you're traveling, and the weather is slightly sucky, the boat won't go out & you're out those dives and have to reschedule the class and re-travel to the class area another time, wasting time & gas & hotel money. if you and the instructor live there, though, the ocean would be a wonderful place to learn.

my bf traveled for mix class three times before he actually got to do the dives. i plan on finding a mix cave instructor & not worrying about that part.

Unless diving the arctic/ antarctic,... you don't typically see 38- 42 degree temps. The coldest ocean temps I have dove in was about 50 degrees in the Galapagos. in the oceans. Those temps can be harsh enough for some people. Of course the are no waves, tides or currents to contend with, but I've dove visibility in that quarry from less than 5ft- over 50 ft. I stand by my statement that each environment has its own set of challenges.

Sorry incorrect once again!!!
:confused:
:shakehead:

The mid atlantic gets temps that cold commonly. Even in south Florida, we can get upwellings of Anarctic water that is below 50 degrees!!!

A quarry filled with static water is NOTHING like the ocean....MAYBE if you got dressed in the back of a pick up truck that was bouncing around the quarry on a pot holed dirt path you could simulate the offshore boating experience:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Unless diving the arctic/ antarctic,... you don't typically see 38- 42 degree temps. The coldest ocean temps I have dove in was about 50 degrees in the Galapagos. in the oceans. Those temps can be harsh enough for some people. Of course the are no waves, tides or currents to contend with, but I've dove visibility in that quarry from less than 5ft- over 50 ft. I stand by my statement that each environment has its own set of challenges.

The ocean is more than capable of bone chilling cold - along with currents, swell and curious wildlife. It can be in the 40's any time of year at tec depths in California. I've found 36'F in the gulf of Maine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom