Tec Diving BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been diving for roughly twenty years give or take and I’ve been diving my Scuba Pro gear for about the last decade. Never any issues.

I’m in the process of doing the book work for tec 140/145/150 and need to start looking at a doubles set up for training. I’m pretty happy with Scuba Pro and have looked at their Tec line.

What’s everyone opinion of and experience with Scuba Pro’s tec equipment vs everything else out their.

Thanks for the time
It sounds like you will be taking the PADI Tec Deep program. For clarification, the courses are Tec 40, Tec 45, and Tec 50.

Scubapro does have their X-TEK line, but I think most of the products are over-priced and of poor design. This opinion is based on diving with the X-TEK equipment line. I think the largest purchasers of the X-TEK line are recreational divers that like the looks...and I feel that is the market Scubapro was going for with this line.

While I don't personally prefer them, I am not against technical harness designs. Unfortunately the Scubapro X-TEK Form harness is just a very poor design. I can't imagine that any serious technical diver had input into this product. It has fixed shoulder D-Rings, wide shoulders so you cannot add items that fit on standard 2-inch webbing, padding that can't be removed if desired, extra thick D-Rings, etc. Look at an Apeks WTX Harness if you are looking for a technical harness design.

The X-TEK back plates are of high quality. They are priced similar to other major brands (Apeks, Halcyon, etc). You can get a basic back plate from a number of retailers for a lot less, but the Scubapro back plate is of high quality and finish.

The X-TEK Pure harness is just 2-inch webbing and hardware. Priced similar to other major brands (Apeks, Halcyon, etc). The buckle is fine, the webbing is fine, but for some reason Scubapro feels the need to add thick diameter D-rings. Other than to look "beefy", these thicker D-Rings serve no real purpose.

I have used the X-Tek 40-lb donut wing for doubles. My biggest complaint on this is they use their standard Balanced Power Inflator which has two covers on the back side. I have had one of these covers come off the inflator while diving. I think it is a stupid design to put on a technical wing. A standard K-style 45-degree Power Inflator is all that is needed and has less failure points.

There are just too many choices for appropriately designed equipment than to settle for the Scubapro X-Tek line. Other than the back plate, I don't recommend any other item from that product line. If you are looking at major manufacturers, you have Halcyon, Apeks, DiveRite, XDeep, HOG, OMS, OxyCheq, and a few others that you can look at. There was a link to DiveGear Express in an earlier reply. That was for a single tank wing which is not what you asked about. However navigate the category and you will see they have a doubles package for less than $500.

I've just transitioned to Tec and had similar questions a few months back. Most important piece of advice, don't buy anything you can't try beforehand, if possible with the tanks attached to it and see how comfortable you are getting yourself in gear and out of it.

I have both a Halcyon and an OMS wing. Both built like tanks, both with shoulder padding. My vote goes to OMS on 2 counts: #1 the shoulder straps are adjustable on the go by pulling on the straps, much like in a Rec BCD and #2, the shoulder straps have a quick release mechanism (made of solid stainless steel, not the plasticky releases of Rec BCDs) that would come handy should I need to get out of my wing in a hurry.

Much that I like my Halcyon, I still wonder how quick I could get out of that wing of it's properly fastened to my shoulders.

On the looks department, I find OMS a bit flashy and James-Bond looking and prefer the understated looks of the Halcyon.

I've just transitioned to Tec and had similar questions a few months back. Most important piece of advice, don't buy anything you can't try beforehand, if possible with the tanks attached to it and see how comfortable you are getting yourself in gear and out of it.

I have both a Halcyon and an OMS wing. Both built like tanks, both with shoulder padding. My vote goes to OMS on 2 counts: #1 the shoulder straps are adjustable on the go by pulling on the straps, much like in a Rec BCD and #2, the shoulder straps have a quick release mechanism (made of solid stainless steel, not the plasticky releases of Rec BCDs) that would come handy should I need to get out of my wing in a hurry.

Much that I like my Halcyon, I still wonder how quick I could get out of that wing of it's properly fastened to my shoulders.

On the looks department, I find OMS a bit flashy and James-Bond looking and prefer the understated looks of the Halcyon.

Yeah, neither of those "features" are appropriate on a technical harness. 1) your harness will never be adjusted correctly. Your shoulder straps should never be "tight." Putting on a harness and cranking down on the shoulder straps is wrong. 2) Quick release buckles are unnecessary failure points. Plastic buckles suffer from UV damage and warpage and cracking. Metal QD's are unnecessarily complicated and typically have small parts that fail.

There's a reason that the single piece harness is the optimal configuration, and extra "features," while acceptable in the rec world, are inappropriate when it comes to technical diving.

...My vote goes to OMS on 2 counts: #1 the shoulder straps are adjustable on the go by pulling on the straps, much like in a Rec BCD and #2, the shoulder straps have a quick release mechanism (made of solid stainless steel, not the plasticky releases of Rec BCDs) that would come handy should I need to get out of my wing in a hurry...

Your #2 reason above is a non-starter in a DIR course like GUE Fundamentals or a DIR Tech course. No quick releases allowed.
If you can't remove your harness easily and quickly, then it's too tight. You should be able to get several fingers or a fist under your shoulder straps.

Your #1 reason of adjustability of the shoulder straps is also not desirable in a DIR tech or basic course.
Since you have padding on your Halcyon, the Halcyon Infinity has the cinch system to simply pull it tight or loosen it. That adjustability of the cinch system is not recommended, but it's available.

So if there is any inkling of a desire to go with a DIR course in the future, a basic bp with a donut wing and a single piece continuous webbing would be the way to go.

I strongly prefer the ScubaPro balanced power inflator to the typical inflator style that most others wings use. I feel as though I’m in the minority as most seem content with the ‘normal’ tech style inflator.

May I ask your reason? I have one, came with a Halcyon wing I bought used. I serviced it myself. I don't see how it is balanced. The basic function mechanism is same as regular inflator, no balanced chamber I can see. It is smaller for sure.

Yeah, neither of those "features" are appropriate on a technical harness. 1) your harness will never be adjusted correctly. Your shoulder straps should never be "tight." Putting on a harness and cranking down on the shoulder straps is wrong. 2) Quick release buckles are unnecessary failure points. Plastic buckles suffer from UV damage and warpage and cracking. Metal QD's are unnecessarily complicated and typically have small parts that fail.

There's a reason that the single piece harness is the optimal configuration, and extra "features," while acceptable in the rec world, are inappropriate when it comes to technical diving.

You appear to be conflating "technical" with the DIR style. Technical does not equal DIR. There are many technical courses that do not require a DIR compliant rig and there are many technical divers that do not use a DIR compliant rig.

Ayisha in the post immediately below yours drew a distinction that was appropriate, in essence IF you want DIR this won't work.

You appear to be conflating "technical" with the DIR style. Technical does not equal DIR. There are many technical courses that do not require a DIR compliant rig and there are many technical divers that do not use a DIR compliant rig.

Ayisha in the post immediately below yours drew a distinction that was appropriate, in essence IF you want DIR this won't work.

Thanks for this. I was really at a loss because I think I dive with really competent instructors that had never expressed such opinionated ideason my gea. I don't think Tec diving should be at odds with a little convenience. I don't have the intention to break any world records either. Thanks again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom