Tec diver dies in air deep dive challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does a wacky record attempt on air has to do with training standards or any trimix course content?
Would you trust a Muppet like that to teach you a Trimix course?

As an instructor, you're expected to "fly the flag" of the agency. His actions were deliberately unsafe and reckless -- pretty much everyone here sees his actions as leading to pretty much the only inevitable outcome. Death.

Would you trust a Muppet like that to teach you a Trimix course?

As an instructor, you're expected to "fly the flag" of the agency. His actions were deliberately unsafe and reckless -- pretty much everyone here sees his actions as leading to pretty much the only inevitable outcome. Death.
How many flags do most tech instructors fly then? The courses are almost identical in layout and content…with maybe a couple exceptions.

Sheck was teaching Cave courses and was concurrently doing dumbass stuff on the side. Measuring his penis with Nuno and setting “records” that fall squarely into the category of “can you believe this didn’t kill me?”….then one day, it did. None of that made him a bad Cave instructor.

There are pleanty of instructors around who have the qualifications and nothing else, not like buying certifications is rare.

Are different brand/model CCr's rated to a maximum depths divers can't/shouldn't exceed at all? If so, do manufacturers have kits to upgrade these CCr's to go deeper? If a ccr diver wants to go deeper than 100m for example with a CCr, what do they have to do to get a CCr that goes deeper, or much deeper?

Are different brand/model CCr's rated to a maximum depths divers can't/shouldn't exceed at all? If so, do manufacturers have kits to upgrade these CCr's to go deeper? If a ccr diver wants to go deeper than 100m for example with a CCr, what do they have to do to get a CCr that goes deeper, or much deeper?
No sure about the rating or what he was using but the issue was most certainly the gas not the ccr.

Nah…hate to break it to you, but knowledge does not equate to intelligence. Seems this guy had all the right tools and training to make good decisions and CHOSE to ignore them. A training agency or an instructor trainer has no way to evaluate the level of stupid someone may or may not choose to develop after a certification is given.
There are numerous examples of well trained and respected divers doing dumb ass shite and getting themselves unalive. I can probably point you to a dozen without trying too hard.
Complacency is certainly a factor in many accidents. But such a basic error as this suggests a significant lack of understanding - which does IMO raise questions about quality of training.

Complacency is certainly a factor in many accidents. But such a basic error as this suggests a significant lack of understanding - which does IMO raise questions about quality of training.
Training or practice?

As my dad said when I passed my driving test: now you can learn to drive.

Every dive, especially when there is a problem, is an excellent learning and skills development opportunity.

The webpage article is painful to read. The divergence between training and judgment is befuddling. In the context of his wedding anniversary, I get a mixture of sympathy for his wife and son aside condemnation of “Yacob” for being foolishly selfish on such an important day.

Training or practice?

As my dad said when I passed my driving test: now you can learn to drive.

Every dive, especially when there is a problem, is an excellent learning and skills development opportunity.
That's why I much prefer the term "Diver Education" to "Training". A dive course should give a student a good understanding of the basics, not just have them memorise rules and recipes. Sounding like an old curmudgeon, I do wonder if the whole "Diving is fun and safe for everyone" movement led by the big commercial agencies has diluted the basic science out of diver education.

I agree completely with what you say about skills development. But I can't get my head around the idea that someone who has supposedly completed CCR / deep / trimix training could show such a lack of understanding of such basic stuff. How do you pass a trimix course and then demonstrate no apparent understanding of partial pressures of a gas mixture?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom