Tec Dive computers and dive plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's interesting that you basically develop some "average but safe" plans for a range of dives and just use the most suitable one.

Given that i suspect our gear doesnt' change that much, ie we have a set of doubles with x litres of gas, and a stage/deco or two each with y litres of gas, it makes sense to have a pre-planned, er, plan for certain depths, and apply the one that best fits the dive you think you are about to do :)

This makes it even easier, because you use the pc software to pre-plan a range of dives based on gas planning (fixed by the gear choice) and depth (shallower longer, deeper shorter (not inc deco time)) and the pc software generates the plans for those dives each with a unique ID, which has two formats

1) a printable output, that has the basic profile, and the gas requirements used in the plan (ie 24l doubles with Nitrox30 etc). This is then used to help you set up for the dive
2) a downloadable plan that is programmed into your dive computer

On the boat you kit up, use the paper copy (laminated for waterproofness!) as a checklist to ensure you are set to go, and you then select the same plan on the DiveComp.
Start your dive, and the DiveComp then will prompt and guide you in real time with the planned plan setpoints

to me, this sounds both quite useful,pretty simple, and a significant safety improvement? But i can also see why a lot of people would consider it an un-necessary phaff lol!

I'm confused, If you want to build a tec diving application. Why don't you go do some or a lot of proper tec diving first?

I'm not sure how a target on a computer would work and help... But a notes/plan view would be helpful for a quick scan. Still need wetnotes or slate just in case.

BTW, in my head, the most userful bit of a target depth is to help the diver stay on target rates rather than at setpoints.

Ie if you plan an ascent of 9m/min, your target depth will start scrolling up and away from you, so all you have to do to ascent at 9m/min is to keep up with it. Rather than doing mental maths in your head during an ascent that seems like a useful prompt i think?

OR you could just look at your ascent rate; if it's too slow then speed up, if it's too fast then slow down. Easy, and implemented in every dive computer I've ever seen.

The deco model i'm building for my pc application is portable in terms of code, therefore it would be relatively easy to compile it to suit any of the normal, commercially used ARM embedded processors, and so that code could be used on an existing tech computer (obviously i'd have to overwrite the existing software)

I'm confused, If you want to build a tec diving application. Why don't you go do some or a lot of proper tec diving first?

I'm not sure how a target on a computer would work and help... But a notes/plan view would be helpful for a quick scan. Still need wetnotes or slate just in case.

That's exactly my plan, to do Tec diving. But in the meantime, asking the question on here gets some very interesting opinions up front to help me on my way!

If "wet notes work" then surely a display page on your dive computer with "the plan" showinng helps too doesn't it? It can show exactly what your wet notes show :)

That's exactly my plan, to do Tec diving. But in the meantime, asking the question on here gets some very interesting opinions up front to help me on my way!

That's a cool plan, but I have a genuine question in this regard :) Your profile mentions 24 dives, does it correspond to your real diving background? If you did more than 24 dives, how many did you do?

As an engineer and coder myself, I can say these are the kinds of things I would have thought of before I got real experience doing these types of dives.

@MaxTorque
Following two PDCs in my opinion is safer than trying to force myself into perfectly following the plan or try to "catch up" to it. Once you deviate in the slightest your plan is essentially invalidated and it is impossible to perfectly follow your pan.

Modern dive PDCs give plenty of ways to tell how badly you have screwed up like, current overpressure (GF99), surfacing risk(surface GF), TTS, and others. We can even adjust our conservativeness on the fly to generate a new ascent that gets us out faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom