Teaching safety by example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for Godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches – that is the right and privilege of any free American.”

From Judge Dolan's ruling in favor of Gary Gentile's suit against NOAA to allow civilian divers take pictures of the Monitor; originally from Edward Abbey's book Desert Solitare (1968)

Its all about personal choice

simbrooks:
Not at all directed at you, but who foots the bill to scrape your brains off the road, that might be kept inside your head by a helmet?

I do..

glbirch:
And the wife and kids who just lost father/husband/bread-winner and won't get the insurance policy because you weren't wearing a helmet. But that's ok because you were likely intestate and the courts will decide what to do with your assets after the bank gets its share anyway.

I digress...

Don't assume, you might be wrong.

my old lady will be on the back of the bike, no kids, estate well in order, including living will with DNR order.

HarleyDiver:

Actually, you don't ... not unless you're self-insured. And even then you're only going to pick up a portion of the expense.

Even if your insurance company covers all the costs of your medical (or funeral) expenses, those costs aren't covered by your premiums ... they get passed back to the rate payers.

Taxpayers pick up the costs of vehicle recovery, cleanup, and any expenses incurred by police/fire/EMT services responding to your accident.

That's just how the world works ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

HarleyDiver:
Don't assume, you might be wrong.

my old lady will be on the back of the bike, no kids, estate well in order, including living will with DNR order.
Well done you. Unfortunately I believe that puts you in the minority as far as having your affairs in order goes.

To be more general, a person may think that their death will effect no one and nothing other than themselves, but in reality this is seldom the case. If, for example, a highway incident renders you, as the driver a a motorcycle, dead or unconconcious due to a head injury that a helmet would have prevented, that leaves several hundred pounds of motorcyle potentially moving at up to 60mph completely out of control. That's a lot of kinetic energy looking for a home.

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, you don't ... not unless you're self-insured. And even then you're only going to pick up a portion of the expense.

Even if your insurance company covers all the costs of your medical (or funeral) expenses, those costs aren't covered by your premiums ... they get passed back to the rate payers.

Taxpayers pick up the costs of vehicle recovery, cleanup, and any expenses incurred by police/fire/EMT services responding to your accident.

That's just how the world works ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

so, the thousands of dollars I have paid the insurance company over the years was just a waste?

& the tens of thousands of dollars in local property taxes ???

OH but that's right, If I had a magical helment on no one would need to respond. right... The bike wouldn't go hurtling down the road, right... Everyone would be "safe", right...

Do ya realy wanna get upset?? I actually exceed the speed limit too... lol

But the original post (I hate to get things back on track) was very wise in pointing out that we tend to feel that the "rules" do not apply to us. Consequently, I wear a seat belt in my car, because I want my kids to do that. I wear a bike helmet, because I want my kids to do that. I wear a PFD in a canoe because I want my Scouts to do that.

There are LOTS of things I do because I have to set the example. I would rather take the chance, but my sense of decency means that I need to do what I ask of others.

Consequently, I won't do any cavern or cave dives because I feel you MUST be certified to do so. I won't take chances that I think are unwise for others. My only wish is that I were perfect in this.

I had a friend tell me that they didn't want to go to church because of all of the hypocites. I told him that I was sorry, but I was going to go to church anyway, and would still love for him to come as well! :D To some degree we are ALL hypocrites. I just hope that the variance is as small as possible. For me anyway.

Pete, your right, we are way off track.
No one should demand someone else do something (kids or otherwise) if they do not walk the walk themselves.
I repect people who have standards for their kids & live by them as well.
I just get crazy sometime when the subject of 'control' comes up.
Nice save of a thread. lol

cancun mark:
Until they start designing them with great big viking horns or rasta dreadlocks on them, I will use all the bike riding skill I have used in the past to keep my head from making contact with the pavement.

Hmmmm, I sense a new product idea!!!

Back
Top Bottom