Teaching Dive Tables (including Nitrox)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that you are not calculating the tables quite correctly! And also - check the computer in the calculations. It does not know, for example, about the beer you drank in the evening, your temperature and the stormy night.
Can I please get your tables that take into account alcohol consumption and hangovers? Asking for a friend.
:cheers:

Is that guy from Alaska?

Also, someone said he didn't teach SDI OW with dive computers. I thought one of SDI's bragging points was that from the very beginning, they required OW students to learn on dive computers?

The rule of 120 worked for 20 plus years before I learned about tables. I really didn't need tables with such an easy solution.
I started dive (military and PADi) in the early 80s. Taught the tables and also when I took the Nitrox course along with learn using my dive computer.

I have never heard about the 120 rule. Is it possible you can explain it? Thank you.

Is that guy from Alaska?

Also, someone said he didn't teach SDI OW with dive computers. I thought one of SDI's bragging points was that from the very beginning, they required OW students to learn on dive computers?
Interestingly, when I first started teaching SDI OW we used tables. They were based on USN dive tables and contained a typo also found on the USN tables. The typo incorrectly converted the metric equivalent.

I started dive (military and PADi) in the early 80s. Taught the tables and also when I took the Nitrox course along with learn using my dive computer.

I have never heard about the 120 rule. Is it possible you can explain it? Thank you.

Subtract your depth from 120. That's the time you can spend at that depth. Nitrox? I use the rule of 140 for 32%. Do I dive like this now? No. I use a PDC like every freaking normal diver.

Here's the real beauty of that rule, besides being ultra simple to use. It's a great reality check for your PDC. If it's telling you that 30 minutes at 120FSW is OK, you know it's time for a Shearwater. :D Did it always work? Again, I never got bent using it. It's more conservative at deeper depths where peeps get into problems.

Here's the real beauty of that rule, besides being ultra simple to use. It's a great reality check for your PDC. If it's telling you that 30 minutes at 120FSW is OK, you know it's time for a Shearwater. :D Did it always work? Again, I never got bent using it. It's more conservative at deeper depths where peeps get into problems.
Thank you the explanation. It is very simple.

While I do carry 2 dive computers when diving, I still have my PADI dive tables (air and Nitrox) in my dive gear. Can still work the tables.

Thank you the explanation. It is very simple.

While I do carry 2 dive computers when diving, I still have my PADI dive tables (air and Nitrox) in my dive gear. Can still work the tables.
I carry the rule of 120 with me on my dives as well. A quick glance at my PDC and I know if my PDC has danced its last dance. Yah, it's happened once as my PDC flooded after a battery change. I knew my target depth, and always wear a watch. Currently that watch is also a PDC, so with two PDCs, I've had no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom