Teaching Dive Tables (including Nitrox)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You argue that computers never leak, never freeze and batteries never run out at the most inopportune moment - life is ideal and very long...

If a computer goes out at depth, you do not die. You call the dive and begin an ascent. I honestly don't understand the rest of your post.
You argue that computers never leak, never freeze and batteries never run out at the most inopportune moment - life is ideal and very long...

I never once said that computers never leak or freeze. I never said batteries do not run out. I simply said that when such a thing happens, the diver does not die. You are using what is called a straw man argument--misrepresenting what someone else said and then attacking the misrepresentation to make the person appear stupid.

As far as I can tell, you are arguing that if a computer dies during a dive and the diver does not know how to use dive tables, the diver will die. I am not clear on how that works. Perhaps you could explain it in more detail. Could you describe the step-by-step sequence that will lead to the diver's death, and could you explain the step-by -step process in which the tables could save the day?

Mathematics is a topic with many subtopics. Understanding those subtopics is important for all. One of the subtopics is automaticity, the ability to make rapid calculations in the head. Another is estimation, the ability to get a rough idea of the results of a calculation without the need to do the actual calculation. Both of those skills are used regularly to avoid the need for a calculator. Those are only two examples of the teaching of mathematics.
A mathematician should be able to do all calculations without a computer! ALL!
Otherwise there should be two types of diplomas - a Mathematician and a mathematician with a Calculator!
It seems we are coming to two types of divers - an Diver and a diver with a Computer

If a computer goes out at depth, you do not die. You call the dive and begin an ascent. I honestly don't understand the rest of your post.
Blue Hole Diving in Dahab and the computer battery dies and there is no instructor nearby and no second working computer - Chopin's funeral march

I never once said that computers never leak or freeze. I never said batteries do not run out. I simply said that when such a thing happens, the diver does not die. You are using what is called a straw man argument--misrepresenting what someone else said and then attacking the misrepresentation to make the person appear stupid.

As far as I can tell, you are arguing that if a computer dies during a dive and the diver does not know how to use dive tables, the diver will die. I am not clear on how that works. Perhaps you could explain it in more detail. Could you describe the step-by-step sequence that will lead to the diver's death, and could you explain the step-by -step process in which the tables could save the day?
Blue Hole Dive in Dahab. The computer's battery died and there was no instructor nearby and no second working computer - Chopin's funeral march and another name on the memorial plaque...

For a Homo Sapiens this will already be enough to learn the tables like the Lord's Prayer.

No computer can plan an upcoming dive. Therefore, it cannot calculate the required air supply for the dive. And if you have an increased air consumption, your computer will not help you!

If the computer does not work, you need to go up to 12 meters and make a safe stop. Then you can go to 6 meters and use all the air there for a reliable result. This is if you have an analog depth gauge and a watch.
Bad option - you stopped by mistake at 25 meters instead of 12 and used up the air. The second bad news is that there is no nearby pressure chamber.

Blue Hole Diving in Dahab and the computer battery dies and there is no instructor nearby and no second working computer - Chopin's funeral march
So you are talking about a technical dive with only one computer and no backup whatsoever. That is why we have technical dive training, to make that impossible.

You are changing topics. This thread is not about technical diving.

Back
Top Bottom