Teach Different. Dive Different.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASEHQ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Wes Skiles had a dream -- one he shared with us back in 1986. That was, a recreational diver training agency run by cave diving instructors.
Today that dream is a reality, as these clips from our recent training video shoot at Weeki Wachee show. Find out more at DEMA or visit:

http://scubanase.com/news/video.html

Some NASE core philosophies shown in this video:

-- Any skill divers can only do while standing, sitting or kneeling on the bottom is useless.

-- Hovering is not something you do by imitating Buddha. It's what happens when your buoyancy is under cont
rol and you simply stop swimming.

-- Buoyancy control is not a "skill" students demonstrate only when told -- it's what they need to be doing 100 percent of the time.

-- "Fin pivots" DO NOT demonstrate buoyancy control. If your fins are touching the bottom, your buoyancy is not under control.

-- The best way for recreational divers to share air? Pass the primary...just as in cave and tech diving.

-- If you can swim 20 feet to waist-deep water and stand up, the last thing you need is a snorkel.

---------- Post Merged at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

400339_429474633766673_603182098_n.jpg

Sounds like a great idea. I wish you and the others working at similar goals (in purpose-built agencies as well as within the big agencies) the best of luck.

Intriguing. I wish I were going to be at DEMA to talk to you guys.

I like the idea. Best of luck getting everything up and running.

-- Any skill divers can only do while standing, sitting or kneeling on the bottom is useless.

-- Hovering is not something you do by imitating Buddha. It's what happens when your buoyancy is under cont
rol and you simply stop swimming.

-- Buoyancy control is not a "skill" students demonstrate only when told -- it's what they need to be doing 100 percent of the time.

-- "Fin pivots" DO NOT demonstrate buoyancy control. If your fins are touching the bottom, your buoyancy is not under control.

-- The best way for recreational divers to share air? Pass the primary...just as in cave and tech diving.

-- If you can swim 20 feet to waist-deep water and stand up, the last thing you need is a snorkel.

Sounds like the philosophy a lot of us PADI Instructors use and believe:

(dive four of my October PADI OW class with all students in dry suits - practicing ascent/descent on a line)

600_175280342.jpeg

I endorse the positives in both the little blurb and in the video. What I don't particularly like are the implied contrasts and the negatives. There's no reason to mention buddha hovers at all. Or fin pivots. Or skill demonstrations. Just state the positives. After all, a core philosophy shouldn't be given in terms of what it's NOT about but what it IS about. To me, adding in all those negative statements only detracts from the message of excellence in instruction and technique of NASE because it focuses not on diving, but rather on a criticism of other ways of teaching diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom