TDI or GUE or UTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't a requirement, but UTD recommends at least 2 annual reviews each year with an Instructor. The website says it's online academics and an in-water review. I would be curious to hear how many UTD divers actually do this.

I actively dive with a UTD instructor. Wonder if that counts :p

This question is open for a discussion.
Example #1.
Example #2.

Certainly the requirements are not perfect. But they seem to capture all but the extreme edge cases, and do so without ballooning the standards language into three paragraphs full of exceptions, clarifications, branches and provisos.

The fills comment was related to the case when the card is expired. If the longer deco dives on 32 are counted that should not be a problem. Otherwise 8 trimix deep dives is not really that small amount. With the 6-7 month window suitable for that kind of dives it's basically 1-1.5 dives a month. Give n one might have some issues , family, health etc. during the best months that can even be more.

But there is another thing does not like about this system. Instead of concentrating on the progression at the pace that the person feels safe one has to be under peer pressure of clocking the dives not to lose the certification. Kind of reminds me of a rat race... or of those who clock the dives surfacing every 20 minutes so they can pass DM requirement.

I just don't agree with you here. My diving window is only slightly larger than yours at 7-8 months, and I don't see managing 25 dives in a year to be a problem. Especially if you throw in just one warm water vacation during a winter.

I just don't agree with you here. My diving window is only slightly larger than yours at 7-8 months, and I don't see managing 25 dives in a year to be a problem. Especially if you throw in just one warm water vacation during a winter.

The issue doesn't appear to be number of dives, but the number of dives at the level of the certification. Your warm water vacation wouldn't help for a T1 renewal, if your just diving to NDLs.

The issue doesn't appear to be number of dives, but the number of dives at the level of the certification. Your warm water vacation wouldn't help for a T1 renewal, if your just diving to NDLs.

So you can't do T1 level dives on vacation? Funny I'm taking T1 in Florida I guess I'll call and reschedule :wink: Along with the 3 or 4 T1 dives we hope to do down there post-class. That's one of the great things about GUE and their procedures. I can post on a message board a couple months ahead of time and find someone to dive with that's trained exactly like me.

No vacations are reserved for our normal diving with my wife cause that's the only diving she does besides St. Lawrence during warm water month :) It might work might not.

No vacations are reserved for our normal diving with my wife cause that's the only diving she does besides St. Lawrence during warm water month :) It might work might not.

Have her hire a young dashing DM/Guide for her dives. Problem solved. :D

So you can't do T1 level dives on vacation? Funny I'm taking T1 in Florida I guess I'll call and reschedule :wink: Along with the 3 or 4 T1 dives we hope to do down there post-class. That's one of the great things about GUE and their procedures. I can post on a message board a couple months ahead of time and find someone to dive with that's trained exactly like me.

With Dean Marshall I presume? I live 5 minutes from his dive shop. Was there yesterday speaking with him and buying equipment...

Back
Top Bottom