TDI O2 Service Technician

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am curious as to why TDI has a pre-req that students for the above course must be certified technicians from a regulator manufacturer? Obviously, it is needed to O2 clean and service regulators. But what about those people who only want to learn to O2 clean service tanks and valves?

I am curious as to why TDI has a pre-req that students for the above course must be certified technicians from a regulator manufacturer? Obviously, it is needed to O2 clean and service regulators. But what about those people who only want to learn to O2 clean service tanks and valves?

Probably because that way it was defined by somebody who wrote rules of this course :)
Why we teach how to calculate BestMix on Nitrox courses, even if somebody wants to dive only on EAN 32?

You can apply for distinctive speciality in SDI "O2 Tanks and Valves Technician" with different pre-reqs.

El Bacio

... and why you have to be an employee, or prove your intent to be an employee, of a shop? First, how do you prove that you intend to do something? Second, what about those who want the training for the sole purpose of servicing their own equipment? If this course isn't for them, why not create a course that is? I would think the market is bigger for an O2 Service Tech course to train home DIYers than it is to train folks who want to do it for pay.

I checked the TDI website and could not find a class they offered called 'O2 Service Technician'. According to what I saw, they have a class called 'O2 Service Technician Instructor'. Years ago TDI did have the prereqs for all their classes listed on the website, that must have changed. I do remember Steve Lewis saying there is a disadvantage to listing on the web, Standards and Procedures for each class. If I remember right, the thinking is it is harder for an instructor to teach the class exactly
like he wants to. Depening upon where a class is taught and under what specific conditions the instructor has some leway as to how the class is taught. As far as what the OP said when he started this thread, I believe he was suggesting that a person had to have a certification from a MANUFACTURER not an employee of a LDS.

P.S. Jim,,,I have a light switch that is in need of repair..It won't stay up !

I checked the TDI website and could not find a class they offered called 'O2 Service Technician'. According to what I saw, they have a class called 'O2 Service Technician Instructor'. Years ago TDI did have the prereqs for all their classes listed on the website, that must have changed. I do remember Steve Lewis saying there is a disadvantage to listing on the web, Standards and Procedures for each class. If I remember right, the thinking is it is harder for an instructor to teach the class exactly
like he wants to. Depening upon where a class is taught and under what specific conditions the instructor has some leway as to how the class is taught. As far as what the OP said when he started this thread, I believe he was suggesting that a person had to have a certification from a MANUFACTURER not an employee of a LDS.

P.S. Jim,,,I have a light switch that is in need of repair..It won't stay up !

Hey Brian! I know the OP and I was just adding on another beef I have with the class. If you read the current standards, which are not on their website, you must be both certified by one of the manufacturers as a reg tech AND a shop employee or seeking to become one. It is clearly a class for those wanting to work in a shop. I wish it had remained a class open to home do-it-yourself folks.

Where DO you come up with the S&P's or pre-req's? As we both know, they are not on the website.

I can provide them (dated late 2007). I have heard of instructors "turning the other way" for some of the pre-reqs. To me, that just seems like lowering the standards.

I think that people should be given the standards prior to taking the class. Especially considering TDI's stance that the standards are the minimum and encourage instructors to go above. If people know the minimums, then they can determine the best instructor for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom