TDI Extended Range Instructor Trainer is South FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

Looking to add extended range to my TDI teaching portfolio - meet the pre-requisites and certified well beyond it at the user level.

Any suggestions for an IT in the southern half of Florida?

Thanks!

Alec Hutchinson, but why add ER when you can just work towards normoxic? Is there really much call for air to 180' these days?

Alec Hutchinson, but why add ER when you can just work towards normoxic? Is there really much call for air to 180' these days?
Thanks! Thought about that as I do dive trimix myself, but the cost of it locally is very high. Plus, I've ahd a lot of demand for this course.

Plus, I've ahd a lot of demand for this course.
That's pretty scary actually. Not to tell you your business (but I will anyway since you're posting on the open internet as opposed to speaking directly to other colleagues), but imo a good instructor would have a conversation about the negatives of deep air and the merits of trimix or even recreational trimix/helitrox to help them make a better informed decision. Which in most cases leads to them realizing some form of trimix is a better option. The good instructors I'm friends with consider deep air old school and potentially dangerous for all involved. I would suspect of the 6 or 7 instructors I'm thinking of, maybe 1 would even consider teaching it and that's only with a very very long conversation on the negatives and risks of deep air.
As an instructor the goal shouldn't be to just teach what people are asking for, but to teach what you feel is safe and acceptable. Maybe you think deep air is safe, and that worries me.

Thanks! Thought about that as I do dive trimix myself, but the cost of it locally is very high. Plus, I've ahd a lot of demand for this course.
When I decided to climb the TDI ladder after AN/DP, I was advised by the instructor to skip Extended Range.

Duplicate

My $0.02 not that it matters.

This program should be going away. It doesn’t meet current industry standards in so many different ways most notably gas density.

If instructors are still teaching this they are teaching outdated information. There is no reason with the Helitrox course at 150’ or Trimix at 200’ that you should be diving air deeper than 100’.

Educate your clients about the risks of deep air and teach the appropriate course with Helium. Saving money isn’t a reason to dive deep air.

When TDI attempted terminating the course, there was pushback from some instructors and thus (and unfortunately), they didn’t go through with it.

My $0.02 not that it matters.

This program should be going away. It doesn’t meet current industry standards in so many different ways most notably gas density.

If instructors are still teaching this they are teaching outdated information. There is no reason with the Helitrox course at 150’ or Trimix at 200’ that you should be diving air deeper than 100’.

Educate your clients about the risks of deep air and teach the appropriate course with Helium. Saving money isn’t a reason to dive deep air.
You're welcome to dive with helium at 110', and that's fine. To say/imply it's not safe, however, ignores years of evidence to the contrary and is, imo, irresponsible as a professional. There are dive profiles, that due to the expected activity level, risk due to environment, etc. for which diving helium at such depths is prudent, but there are a lot more dives done in the 100-130' range that don't meet any of those criteria done every year than those where helium is worth the cost for most divers to reduce the negligible risk decrease helium would provide for most of those dives.

You're welcome to dive with helium at 110', and that's fine. To say/imply it's not safe, however, ignores years of evidence to the contrary and is, imo, irresponsible as a professional. There are dive profiles, that due to the expected activity level, risk due to environment, etc. for which diving helium at such depths is prudent, but there are a lot more dives done in the 100-130' range that don't meet any of those criteria done every year than those where helium is worth the cost for most divers to reduce the negligible risk decrease helium would provide for most of those dives.
The Extended Range class goes well beyond 130 feet.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom