Tavernier Mid-April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartzler

Reaction score
I'll be diving the 12 to 14th of April out of Florida Keys Dive Center and was wondering what to see and do during my surface intervals.

I met Capt. Tom at Our World Underwater in Chicago last month and he assured me that a "newbie diver" like myself would do fine. He seems like a good chap and was recommended by friends up here.

I've searched the threads on the Keys in general and would like additional info and advice on where to dive and what lurks beneath in that area.

I am a little partial to Conch Republic, but have also been out with FKDC, and they do a good job, at least on that occasion. Where to dive? Reefs or wrecks? My favorite reefs are Snappers Ledge (the grunts are unbelievable) and Horseshoe.

Wrecks: Duane and Eagle, and Spiegel of course. Watch out for the current though. It can really rip through there.

Enjoy.

OK, just went back and looked at your profile. Stay away from the wrecks: too deep and too much current for a newbie. Nothing wrong with newbies, of course; we all started as newbies. Just enjoy the reefs. Shallow, easy dives, beautiful fish. Very enjoyable. Get a lot more bottom time, take AOW and more specialty courses, then go do the wrecks.

Hartzler:
I'll be diving the 12 to 14th of April out of Florida Keys Dive Center and was wondering what to see and do during my surface intervals.

I met Capt. Tom at Our World Underwater in Chicago last month and he assured me that a "newbie diver" like myself would do fine. He seems like a good chap and was recommended by friends up here.

I've searched the threads on the Keys in general and would like additional info and advice on where to dive and what lurks beneath in that area.

You will be fine,
You will have a blast! They will get you out to one of the many reefs all that are well in your range! marine life you will see=some big mean green Moray eels!,and a host of tropicals,
Have fun get your weight checked prior to your dive or ask for the suit you will use 3mm is all you need now,
bring a warm jacket=wind breaker and dry towel in a plastic bag so it dose not get wet,I am not sure if he has hot water on his boat but they run a good opp-I dove with them, and If you need to have a guide or feel you need one -ask! price is not bad,he or she will give you a great site tour and point out tons of stuff you would miss!
dont slosh down a ton of booze the night before leave that to the pros! eat a mild breakfast,water not coffee, relax and have a blast!
One thing is the Keys well any were you have water can kick up so if it gets to bad they may call the dive!

I just returned from Key Largo a week ago.--You're going to have a GREAT time! Beautiful diving. Eating is a fun recreational activity during surface intervals...A couple of restaurants I really liked:

-Hobo's (mile marker ~104)...Looks like a sorta run-down bar on the outside, but great food and atmosphere inside!
-Sharkey's (mile marker 100--turn left by the Holiday Inn and then take another left on Carribean St)...Bar atmosphere with pool tables, etc.

Have fun! :D

Here are a few of my favorite restaurants.

-The Fish House (MM102 Ocean side) - Great seafood and atmosphere
-Encore (next door to The Fish House) - Try their curry lobster...It's the best
-Island Grill (MM 84 just over Snake creek bridge on left Ocean side) - Great grilled fish sandwich.

Aprils a great time for diving. We had no seas and great vis yesterday. Rest of the week looking much of the same. Have a great time.

Good Diving,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom