Tarnish spot on PST E7-100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FAW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know if cleaning a galvanized tank with Goof-Off (xylene) hurts the corrosion resistance of the tank. I have two PST E7-100s on which I wrote my name with one of those paint sticks for scuba equipment. I just sold the tanks and wanted to remove my name for the buyer.

I used a little Goof-off and now the spot where my name was is slighly darker, duller and appears tarnished. It appears minor and cosmetic, but I want to check it out before I sell them. BTW, I told the buyer about it and that I'm checking it out.

I wrote Pressed Steel and am waiting for their answer. I checked the internet and one article by the American Galvanizing Association says galvanized tanks are used to store Xylene, so I think we're ok, but want to check to be sure.

Rick,
Salem, OR

FAW:
Hi all

Does anyone know if cleaning a galvanized tank with Goof-Off (xylene) hurts the corrosion resistance of the tank.
Rick,
Salem, OR

Xylene isn't going to remove the galvanizing on your tank. Wipe away.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom