tao / krabi / phi phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escher123

Reaction score
My husband and I are going to be in Bangkok first week of April and wanted to squeeze in 3/4 days of diving. Going through some of the other postings it looks like koh tao, krabi, and phi phi are all good options. In terms of visibility, currents, marine life, and connectivity from Bangkok, which place would you say would be our best bet? Any other suggestions apart from the islands I've listed? Any dive shops you'd recommend?

Another options we're open to is doing a 3/4 day liveaboard - any suggestions for a good personalised liveaboard which goes to good dive sites?

Thanks! :wink:

I've used Khaolak Scuba Adventures for a Liveaboard in the Similans before. Really good service and great staff. They offer either a custom liveaboard where you can choose how many nights you want or a 4d / 4n package. I recommend the later if you have the time as it will also include the surin islands and Richelieu Rock (a must dive site).

Koh Tao is great as you dont need to travel far for the dive sites (average 20 mins). Check out Planet Scuba as they run a later schedule and this helps to avoid being at a dive site with 20 other boats. You also have a good chance of Whale sharks around the full moon at Koh Tao. The best site is Chumphon Pinnacle.

If you fancy a dive in Bangkok, give me a shout. I get to take people in the Shark Tank at Ocean World, great fun.

Enjoy Thailand

I recommend going to Samui / Koh Tao if you have only limited time because of the easy transportation - you can fly to Samui within an hour from BKK airport and in another 10 minutes you are at your hotel. The island is gorgeous - not just under the water.

You can do speedboat dives directly from Samui to sites just like Sail Rock or Koh Ma, or, if you want the cheaper way, go to Koh Tao by ferry (2.5 hours) and stay there for 3 days. All the nice dive sites are at or around Koh Tao and it's a beautiful little island to relax and hang out!

I just came back last week from my Thailand trip and I was very well served by Planet Scuba. You can see some pics as well as a dive video from Koh Tao at my blog (link below)!

Krabi is just a short hop from Bkk and we'll pick you up from the airport. From here we can take you to PhI Phi on our day boat, out to Shark Point or enjoy one of our shorter trips around our local islands. If you then want a liveaboard, we can give you the choice of 4 boats out of Khao Lak. PM me for more detailed information!

Hi there,

If it were me, I'd do a liveaboard to the Similan and Surin Islands and Richelieu Rock. The downside is that you'll not have much time on the beach (maybe you'll stop off on one of the Similans for awhile during a surface interval, but otherwise you'll probably be on the boat the whole time); the upside is that you can do 3 or 4 dives per day on many truly excellent dive sites, and whether you depart from Phuket or from Khao Lak you'll not be too far from the Phuket airport for easy access to and from Bangkok. Koh Tao is a bit more difficult to get to, as the nearest tourist airport is on Koh Samui which is a couple hours away from Koh Tao by ferry.

In choosing among the many liveaboards sailing the Similans, the first issue in reaching your decision will be timing -- if you have to "squeeze in" the diving, then the boat's schedule really must be compatible with yours. They pretty much all go to pretty much the same dive sites, but do they go there on a 3- or 4-day cruise which matches your schedule?

After the schedule, the next issue you'll have to consider in reaching your decision will be budget. In terms of personalized service vs. an impersonal and overcrowded boat, some say that you'll get what you pay for. To some extent that's true. Compare, for example, the expensive Nautica with 12 divers, and the cheap South Siam III, and note that the South Siam III info says "28 divers" but that could mean 56 divers if 28 are staying that night on board and 28 others are leaving by speedboat that day (and no, it's not unheard of to have 45 or 50 divers on a South Siam boat during high season ... which certainly wouldn't happen on the luxury liveaboards. But, South Siam is cheap!).

However, there are some smaller mid-budget liveaboards which might be mid-budget rather than high-budget for reasons of comfort, cabin size, etc., rather than lack of personalized service. For example, the last time I did a Similans liveaboard, it was a mid-budget boat with a maximum of 16 divers and 4 divemasters/instructors (at least 3 on any given dive) -- so it was just fine for personalized service, and the food and the diving were great ... but while my DM was fluent in several Scandinavian languages he was otherwise not very impressive (as a DM/instructor myself -- and as someone who has dived as a paying customer in about a dozen countries around the globe -- I have high but reasonable standards), and the cabins were a bit cramped and they weren't well-ventilated so there was a slight odor of gasoline from the engine room (I won't name the boat because they swore that they'd fix the ventilation problem after that trip, and DMs come and go, ... however, the cabins on that boat are no doubt just as small now as they were then).

Here are a couple of links just to get you started in the selection process (you might google "Thailand liveaboards" or "Phuket liveaboads" or "Similan islands liveaboards", etc., for more links); each of these two links has a schedule/calendar function to tell you which liveaboards are available when you are free to go diving, and each gives you an idea of each boat's price range. When you've narrowed it down to which ones' schedules match your schedule, and which ones best suit your budget, then search for those boats by name here on scubaboard.com and/or post a more specific query here for further info. These links are to booking agencies --and using a booking agency may or may not be better than booking directly with the dive operation itself -- and I'm posting them here only to give you an idea of what's available and when.
Thailand Diving - Phuket Liveaboards - Scuba Diving Similan Islands - PADI Dive Courses
Liveaboard Phuket - Thailand Liveaboards - Similan Guide

Note that in general, there is more diversity of marine life -- especially macro stuff such as nudibranchs, shrimps, etc. -- on the west coast (Phuket, Krabi, Similans, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, etc.) than there is in the Gulf (Koh Tao, etc.). And often the visibility is better on the west coast than in the Gulf. However, if you go to the best Gulf coast dive sites when visibility is good, you can do some great diving, and you can see some marine life which is not so common on the west coast. I worked as a scuba instructor on Koh Samui for more than a year (mostly diving Koh Tao and Sail Rock), and had many excellent dives with whale sharks, Spanish mackerels, bull sharks, reef sharks, etc. etc. ... but I also had a number of mediocre dives in poor to moderate visibility with not much very interesting to see unless one's a novice diver (and Koh Tao's diving industry is based primarily around certifying new divers, rather than catering to experienced ones). As I said above, it if were me, I'd do a liveaboard to the Similans and Surins and Richelieu Rock.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your husband have a great time. After your Thailand trip, please post a trip report (with photos, if possible) and tell us all about it.

Cheers,
M

Makhno, thanks a million for that! You've sold us on the West coast! :) After doing some research it looks like we'll be going to Similans / Richelieu Rock on a 4 day liveaboard. We've narrowed it down to Sea Dragon and Sunrise Divers... will let you know who we finally go with... and we'll put up a trip report.

Cheers!

So it looks like we were too late in booking a liveaboard cause all the best options are sold out! :( Now we're off to Koh Tao and will be diving with Scuba Junction... will let you all know how that goes!

Don't worry; you can do some really great diving from Koh Tao if the weather and visibility and marine life are good, and if you go to the better dive sites.

Don't miss Chumphon Pinnacle, and don't miss Sail Rock. Be forewarned: many Koh Tao dive centers don't dive Sail Rock often, if at all, because it's not directly on Koh Tao (it's closer to Koh Phangan), so they must spend a bit of money burning fuel to get the dive boat there. However, Sail Rock and Chumphon Pinnacle are by far the 2 best sites in the southern gulf, so make sure that you insist upon doing each of those sites at least once -- twice is better! If Scuba Junction refuses to take you to Sail Rock while you're there, then check with the other Koh Tao dive centers; for example, as of awhile ago (I'm not sure about recently) sometimes the MV Trident went to Sail Rock once a week on Wednesdays for recreational diving when it wasn't doing deep tech diving stuff. Ask around; many dive centers work with the Trident folks to take their clients out for deep wreck diving and/or for Sail Rock dives, etc., and some non-tech dive centers also do (or used to do, when I was last there) Sail Rock on a weekly basis. If no Koh Tao dive center will take you to Sail Rock, then go to Koh Phangan on the ferry (30 minutes) and then connect with a local dive center because all the Koh Phangan dive operations dive Sail Rock almost every day. When visibility and currents are bad, Sail Rock isn't so great, but often it's the very best dive site in the Gulf! Try to go with a DM who knows the site well, who can show you where the scorpionfish are on the Secret Pinnacle, where the anemone shrimps are near the Chimney, etc. And always keep an eye out for whale sharks!

Other pretty good Koh Tao dive sites are White Rock, Twins, Green Rock, and a few others. But the best by far are Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock.

In any event, Koh Tao has some great beaches and a wonderfully relaxed ambience, so you're sure to have a good time.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom