Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local dive store only charges $40 for a hydro. Since they dont have the equipment to do it, they send the cylinder to the local welding supply company that charges a whoping $15 for to do the hydro. Do I support my local dive store or my local welding supply company?
Also, If I remember correctly, when I learned to dive the only time a visual had to be done is when the cylinder was completly drained of air.

mike_s:
Yeah.... I think it's kinda a joke of how "they" mandate it.

But, I actually think it's a good idea to do a yearly inspection.
If I've had a tank get contaminated by something, etc....
then hopefully the yearly inspection will catch it.

But I also didn't like having to pay $15 bucks to have a VIS done
in Bimini when apparantly one of our VIS stickers had come off
the tank from the previous month. They wouldn't fill the tank
without doing it even though it had been inspected the month
before. They were the only dive shop on the island and could
"overcharge" what ever they wanted. (I think they also gouged
us for $8 each air fills).

VIS can you do your self. We (I and buddies) check up every tank when starting the winter season. It includes drying, visual inspection, cleaning (not O2) if needed and new O-ring...

My shop charges $55 for a hydro. :11: I have plenty of gas shops around my house, and Air Products within a half an hour. If that is the only requirement, to ship it off to a weldin shop, I'll save myself some shekels, and take it over myself!!

I wouldn't call it price fixing, but the three shops I've been to all charge the same price for hydros....

Jack

cnctina:
My local dive store only charges $40 for a hydro. Since they dont have the equipment to do it, they send the cylinder to the local welding supply company that charges a whoping $15 for to do the hydro. Do I support my local dive store or my local welding supply company?
Also, If I remember correctly, when I learned to dive the only time a visual had to be done is when the cylinder was completly drained of air.

jbliesath:
My shop charges $55 for a hydro. :11: I have plenty of gas shops around my house, and Air Products within a half an hour. If that is the only requirement, to ship it off to a weldin shop, I'll save myself some shekels, and take it over myself!!

I wouldn't call it price fixing, but the three shops I've been to all charge the same price for hydros....

Jack
Compare the hydro stamp from the local welding company tanks to the stamp on the dive shops tanks. I bet its the same testers stamp. The tester stamps small numbers between the larger month and year numbers.

Back
Top Bottom