Tanks to Bonaire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm headed down to Bonaire for the whole month of October... Thinking of bring a tank or two to leave at the house I stay at... Fresh hydro'd 80's ... Anyone bring tanks down ? Flying United... I know I'll need to remove the valves ... Any help or Info would be great..

Jim...

With the serious weight restrictions going on now and the ease of renting tanks there I don't think I'd bother. We did back when you could take 2x70#, like 10 years ago. Still down there being used by friends. Now we just barely make the cut with minimal clothes, dive gear, photographic equip, and electronics to support photos.
You still have to pay for fills, hydros, rebuilds, etc, so unless the tank is something special the cost saving is likely not there.

I agree. Hard to see the benefits vs the cost and hassle. To answer your question though last time I brought a tank down EWR-Bon United I had a six pony in the check in that was stolen sometime after check in. After filing a claim and waiting 3 months United reimbursed me. As far as packing, remove valve. It couldn't hurt also to print out attach a copy of the TSA rule permitting scuba tanks in checked luggage.

I agree with comments above. You can get the dive deals that include drive-thru refills, 24/7. I love my own tanks to the death but traveling with them is a real hassle and would do it only if I couldn't trust the local dive operators. Transporting an empty dive tank costs $150 each way, so $300 goes to just tank's traveling.
You might want to call Buddy, Divi and some other bigger operators and ask if they'd cut you a deal for a month.

Safe travels, and enjoy Bonaire!

I use dive friends all the time... but for the first 2 weeks I'll be solo as the wife doesn't get down till the 3rd week.. Then we'll do the unlimited dive package like we always do... I just can't see paying $18 dollars for a tank if I only what to do one dive that day.. To diver-girl , Were do you get $150 dollars to travel with a tank... Also I get two free bags checked on United.. So one bag with a alum 80 and a 30 pony in it and the second bag my normal stuff... I only travel with BC and Regulators as all the other gear has been in bonaire for the past 2 years... And I'll leave the tanks there...

Jim..

And to add, Last Feb when we were down I priced tanks and they wanted like $400 buck for a alum 80

Wow, $400 for an aluminum 80. So much for my thought on checking Bonaire Craig's List.

That was at the dive friends retail store...

Jim....

any issues with trying to get the tanks filled?

i once read that no one is ever worried about getting tanks stolen on Bonaire since they can not be filled because the dive ops will only fill their own tanks.

any issues with trying to get the tanks filled?

i once read that no one is ever worried about getting tanks stolen on Bonaire since they can not be filled because the dive ops will only fill their own tanks.

I know dive friends will fill outside tanks for people..

jim...

Dive Friends offers a 15 tank "punch card" for $175 to residents or visitors staying on the island longer than 10 days. That's just $11.66/tank with no time limit for consumption, such as with the weekly packages. If you have any unused tanks on your card at the end of the trip you can just save the card and use it again on your next trip. (My wife doesn't dive as frequently as me and has been doing this for the past several years.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom