tanks and airplanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody have the info about bringing your spare air or a pony bottle onto an airplane? I was told once that it is nvere allowed, even with the valve removed.

As long as the valve is removed, you shouldn't have a problem... I would just worry about thw weight issues.

What the airlines Ive used has posted about this is that the tank valve need to be removed, the tank need to be checked luggage and it has to be checked as "special goods".
Other than that the weight issue alone and knowing how much airlines charge for extra weight would probably make it cheaper to rent anyways..

Does anybody have the info about bringing your spare air or a pony bottle onto an airplane? I was told once that it is nvere allowed, even with the valve removed.

Remove the valve and don't tape over the end. That way they can look inside. Checked is always easier. Just remember that 50 lb. limit.

It is impossible to make a categoric statement about the legality of tanks on airplanes, since the TSA has numerous contradictory documents on the subject, and the FAA and airlines may have their own standards quite independently of the TSA.

Last time I flew I wrote the TSA to get it in writing whether it was OK to take scuba tanks on planes. They sent me a letter saying it was OK to take them in checked luggage with the valve removed. I got to the airport and there was a sign by the checkout line listing scuba tanks as banned items that could not be taken on a plane in any circumstance. When I got home I called the TSA and they said the sign wasn't one of theirs, but must have been from the FAA.

Also, the TSA told me there are no hard and firm rules anyhow since the inspector on the spot has the ability to ban anything they feel like regardless of published TSA regulations.

So by all means remove the valve, and you'll probably be OK, but have a plan B for what you are going to do with the tank if the TSA or airline refuses to let you take it.

I've carried my spare air(s) all over the world in my carry-on bags, without more than a few questions from inspectors. I have learned to put the open tank on the conveyer in the plastic tray along side my shoes and laptop. This saves them from digging into my well-packed roll-aboard to check it out.

I also print the TSA rules directly from their web page: tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm and have it handy to head off any discussion. Additionally I carry a pen-light in my bag so they can utilize it for cylinder inspection; in over 20 years no inspector has ever wanted to use my light.

They really seem to lose interest in an item so openly displayed and my simple comment that "the cylinder is empty and open for their inspection per TSA rules"

I have been to Hawaii a number of time with a 13 cu ft cylinder. I removed the valve and covers the opening with clear tape that you can clearly see through. No problem. It was packed with the rest of my dive gear so it was pretty obvious what it is for. I would not try to carry one on with me, that could be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom