Tank Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Halcyon Pioneer #28lb Wing with the SS BP....I dive with a 6.5mm Neoprene DrySuit and I need 31lbs to be properly weighted (6lb BP is included in that figure)...that's fact... so where do I put the remaining 25lbs??

Now, those of you familiar with this setup know besides the trim weight pouches that I can put on the tank bands, there are not many other options for weight placement...so I also use the DUI Weight Trim system....works well with my jacket style setup and does not interfer with the Halcyon setup....so I am keeping it.

The problem is my bottom half is heavy..no surprise since the majority of the weight is on my waist. I need weight towards the top of my tank (which I mount as high as possible without interferring with head movement)...I have been putting ankle weights around my tank neck and it has helped, but is there any other solution? Strapping 3-4 ankle weights around my tank neck is lame....

I tried using a weight belt around my tank, but didnt like that..wasnt flush. I could buy another Halcyon single tank adapter and thread weights using that webbing?? Not sure....what do you guys think?

My tank is aluminum and going steel is not an option at this point, so dropping 5lbs aint gonna happen. :)

Jason

How about additional weight pouch that can be mounted on the upper cam band?
Halcyon also makes it that holds 5lb each pouch. You can get the cheap XS weight pouch ($9) instead though. I use this option because the weight distribution works great.

I suggest you look into a heavy sta - I have seen threads on this board discussing use of a sta with the Pioneer wing and it can and has been done. You just need to find one that is somewhat narrow at the bottom (where it meets the backplate) and then vee's out to meet the tank.

My second suggestion is to take a look at Deep Sea Supply backplates. They make a ss backplate which can accept bolt-on weight plates that can add as much as 8 pounds to your rig. Of course this adds the expense of purchasing another backplate, but you could probably eBay your old one.

My final thought is that FredT makes a "heavy" backplate using a thicker than standard gauge of stainless steel. IIRC it's in the 10 pound range. Once again this adds the complication of purchasing another backplate.

Good luck.

Not to hijack your thread, but, a 28# wing, and 31#s combined lead and BP? This would be really bad news in a wetsuit at depth, but, even dry, aren't you depending on no inflate valve failures? I dive a shell DS, so I would have to account for a flooding condition, and loss of all suit buoyancy. I wear between 28 and 32#'s depending on undergarments. Does the neoprene DS loose buoyancy at depth? If so, isn't 28#'s a bit on the low side?

jepuskar:
Now, those of you familiar with this setup know besides the trim weight pouches that I can put on the tank bands.
Whats wrong with trim weight pouches? They would be a great solution.

rickyd:
I dive a shell DS, so I would have to account for a flooding condition, and loss of all suit buoyancy
Never happen...loss of "all" buoyancy, but if you want to wear a big honking wing...go for it.

Jeff, I do use the trim weight pouches...right now I have one on each tank band...but the higher the better. Like Hoosier said, I just may add the 2nd one to the upper band instead of the lower one. I thought I could only have 4lbs in each, but if its 5...I'll have 10lbs towards the top...thats better.

Rickyd,

My neoprene suit does lose buoyancy at depth, but 28lbs of wing lift is more than enough. The suit is extremely buoyant hence the amount of weight I need. If for some reason I have a full flood and my BC cant hold air and I cant kick up my rig....my weights are distributed in a manner where I can ditch a few lbs or alot depending on the situation. where I can kick up...or my buddy can assist me.

With a full flood and my BC is functional, the wing should be more than enough to make me neutral. However, I'm not gonna try this...thats COLD! :) if it doesn't make me neutral, I should still be able to swim up at this point though.

JP

jepuskar:
Jeff, I do use the trim weight pouches...right now I have one on each tank band...but the higher the better. Like Hoosier said, I just may add the 2nd one to the upper band instead of the lower one. I thought I could only have 4lbs in each, but if its 5...I'll have 10lbs towards the top...thats better.
I guess I mis-read, it sounded like like you didn't want to use them. I use the pouches on the upper bands when using my Alum BP and single wing.

Also, you could get a channel weight. I have made 2 or 3 in my time and you can make one close to 8lbs.

So in theory you could have 10lbs in pouches, 8 lbs in a channel weight (6lb of plate) leaving you with a 7 lb belt. (You would probably be WAY top heavy in that config though.)

jepuskar:
I have never heard of channel weight! what is that?

Is it similiar to the weight I've gained by having a computer job?
A piece of lead in the middle of the backplate.

Here's pic with my Alum BP with a 5-6 lb channel weight

Back
Top Bottom