Tank valve thread cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fl-diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just converted my Aqualung Titan regs to din to use with my new to me genesis HP100 tanks. It is difficult to thread the reg all the way into the valve and anything less results in a leak. After some cleaning of the threads it goes a little smoother.
Is there an easy and safe way to clean/lubricate the threads inside the valve?

I just converted my Aqualung Titan regs to din to use with my new to me genesis HP100 tanks. It is difficult to thread the reg all the way into the valve and anything less results in a leak. After some cleaning of the threads it goes a little smoother.
Is there an easy and safe way to clean/lubricate the threads inside the valve?

I am going to guess that your problem is caused by the valve opening being slightly out of round. Made from plated brass, this is a very common problem. I could not imagine the threads being soiled enough to cause resistance when installing the regulator.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

Is there any solution other than new valves? I took the din adapter off the 1st stage and threaded all the way in a few times and it seemed to help. I don't mind a snug fit but I don't want to need pliers to change tanks.

Actually sand can get caught on the threads and scratch the threads. This is particularly bad if the regulator was pressurized with even a small amount of grit in the threads.

You may want to inspect the threads with a small dentist type mirror. The side you can’t see in the female threads of the valve is actually the side that is loaded under pressure. That side could be wrought and the chrome may be worn.

I started using DIN fitting in the Caribbean in the early 70’s and this is one of the reasons I don’t think they are for everyone. You are constantly threading different parts together and if they are not clean they will wear on each other.

In a windy sandy beach a DIN fitting is just not the best choice.

Also the out of round valve can be a problem.

I had a set of Poseidon regs that screwed in no problem. I think part of the problem is the Aqualung din connection. This occurs on all 3 tanks with 2 different Aqualung din regs. It seemed that the Poseidon did not need to thread as far in.
Once it is secured I don't think there is much chance of it getting loose which is good. I will try another din reg if I can find anybody with one.
Thanks for the replies.

Actually sand can get caught on the threads and scratch the threads. This is particularly bad if the regulator was pressurized with even a small amount of grit in the threads.

You may want to inspect the threads with a small dentist type mirror. The side you can’t see in the female threads of the valve is actually the side that is loaded under pressure. That side could be wrought and the chrome may be worn.

I started using DIN fitting in the Caribbean in the early 70’s and this is one of the reasons I don’t think they are for everyone. You are constantly threading different parts together and if they are not clean they will wear on each other.

In a windy sandy beach a DIN fitting is just not the best choice.

Also the out of round valve can be a problem.

Luis, very good points and a great observation about the suitability of DIN valves in certain situations. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

IMHO the major reason we don’t see a lot more problems with DIN threaded connections is because the relatively few divers using DIN fittings are mostly either technical divers or divers that are very careful with their gear.

From my experience, DIN connections are very rugged if properly used and the threads and parts are in good shape, but it far from being a superior connection for all applications.

With a DIN connection, you are mating threads from many different manufactures, sure they are made to the same specifications, but there are still tolerances and there is a varying degree of wear, abuse, and maintenance. Also, the valve female fitting can be easily deformed (especially on the deep 7 thread DIN) if the tank is dropped or even if a technician put are wrench on the wrong place.

Personally, for the vast majority of divers, especially in rental tanks situation, I feel that a yoke connection is more forgiving…as proven by the track record of the huge rental fleets all over the Caribbean.

I would never rent a DIN tank unless the valve looked totally new. And even then I can’t inspect the back side of the threads (the loaded side). Screwing my nice DIN fitting regulator into a strange tank is kind of like having unprotected sex.

To actually answer the OPs question. Lay the tank on its side, block the little drain hole in the side of the valve with chewing gum, putty or tape (on the outside). Fill the female din fitting with vinegar and let soak for 15 to 30 minutes. rinse thouroughly with fresh water.

This will remove any salt residue. I would not lube the threads as most lubes will make grit more likely to stick.

You may also want to scrub the threads with a brass tooth brush or (clean) brass gun bore brush.

I cleaned the threads with a regular toothbrush dipped in a little white vinegar. A fair amount of "stuff" came out. The threads look like new and operate much better with the din connection. One reg is perfect the other is still a little snug but works good.
Thanks for the great advice.
I have a 4th tank that just got hydroed I will pick up tomorrow and see if it needs a thread cleaning. Now the question is, do I get rid of the 5 aluminum tanks that I have?
At 32 years old I have been diving for almost 20 years and I have never used a steel tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom