Tank valve failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air consumption is individual and certainly not a competition. However, I often dive under 100ft and never used anything but an 80cf. If you can do a multilevel dive (wall, slope, etc), an 80cf is large enough... if you have a good buddy of course, otherwise, it's not very wise. But I agree that for example, on a wreck in the middle of the ocean/lake where the wreck is at the bottom and there is nothing between it and the surface to make an interesting multilevel, and if you are having extra time to spend because you are using enriched air, an 80cf is a bit tight.

Two weeks ago, during one of the required dives for the ANDI Technical Safeair cert., we came up from 120 ft to a platform at 70 ft. Once on the platform we were to each
shoot a lift bag and switch to a 40 cu ft deco bottle of 50% 02 , slung on our side, and then crank up the line on the lift bag to 60 ft for 1 minute, then 40 ft ect. When I opened the valve on the deco bottle to switch over, the DIN valve o-ring blew. Fortunately these were simulated deco stops with no deco obligation , other than the safety stop and I had enough air in the 95 on my back to safely complete the dive.
The instructor said that a well trained diver could have taken the 1st stage off and replaced the o-ring underwater and completed the deco stops. Good leaning experience,
I now carry o-rings for my pony, they or light, don't take any room and hanging form a
lift bag, I can see how this could be easily done , with a slung bottle.

__

Remember for Nitrox, you can get whatever mix you want. 27%, 28%, 30% whatever. If you know where you are going beforehand, you can make sure your tanks are filled properly so you end up at the Partial pressure you are comfortable with.

When I dive, I tell my buddies where we are going and how deep, they have their bottles filled accordingly.

TRIG:
The instructor said that a well trained diver could have taken the 1st stage off and replaced the o-ring underwater and completed the deco stops. Good leaning experience,
I now carry o-rings for my pony, they or light, don't take any room and hanging form a
lift bag, I can see how this could be easily done , with a slung bottle.
__

An interesting procedure - how do you plan to stop the first stage from flooding while you change the O-ring?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
An interesting procedure - how do you plan to stop the first stage from flooding while you change the O-ring?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Yep, an interesting idea.... speculation on my part here.... might try to tight the first stage just enough but still have some open, then open the tank valve, flush the water out ... leave the valve open and then tight the first stage until no more water/bubble coming out... It might work.

Tassie_Rohan

Cheers,
Rohan./ QUOTE
------------------------
htn123
Yep, an interesting idea.... speculation on my part here.... might try to tight the first stage just enough but still have some open, then open the tank valve, flush the water out ... leave the valve open and then tight the first stage until no more water/bubble coming out... It might work.

htn123 / QUOTE

---------

HI GUYS , Thanks for the question and suggestion. I`m diving tomorrow, I`ll find out and post results.

__

I would expect you will have munged up the reg a bit, at least, time for servicing, especially if it was salt water. In other words, yes, maybe you can change the o-ring, and sure, get some air out, but I would fully expect you would have blown water through both stages, and likely towards the SPG. If it's crud in the reg vs. no air to get up, go for it, but it sounds like a real pain.

(My stuff is yoke, not DIN, so maybe the DIN setup somehow keeps water from getting into the first stage.)

(I'd love to see someone farting with those o-rings in heavy gloves)

Otherwise, perhaps it was an Old Diver's Tale, one of those "When men were men, and manatees were scared..." things. Half expect the Old Salt to talk about having to find a web-spinning sea spider, forming the replacement ring underwater for you :)

diverDano:
Nitrox at 110???...holy people...go back to the books.

As I get older I seek to understand to be understood and inquire prior to instructing.

Nitrox comes in percentages from 22% to the 40% for we mere mortals. (other percentages to those who have the training, experience and gear.)

You can take nitrox mixes past 110 all the way to the 130 Recommended Rec Limit.

Diving the Pompano area wrecks it is very common to see EAN29. Which is a very good mix for those dives and done all the time. This will even keep you into the new conservative 1.4 PPO to 126'. (SSI tables.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom