Tank valve failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm, whats wrong with Nitrox at 110?

diverDano:
Nitrox at 110???...holy people...go back to the books.

As a REC diver, according to my books I can use EAN32 for 25min and still be within NDL and PO2 of 1.4?

I have also heard a story before of a first stage blowing up.

Shaka, don't confuse him with facts. :)

diverDano:
Nitrox at 110???...holy people...go back to the books.

You should put your nose in your books, most technical divers use Nitrox 32 starting at 130' or 120' to deco on. And there nothing wrong about using the right Nitrox mix up to 130ft.

scubadds-
Do you have a SPG on your pony? I've been diving with a tiny SPG on the 1st stage and check it before suiting up. I can't view it once I'm in the drink. Thinking of a redundant console (including compass and depth gauge and of course SPG) attached to pony. I have a 19 cf for deeper diving 70-120 and a 12 cf for 'shallow' dives.
I agree, I would go for the pony first then look for buddy.

A spare air is better than nothing,.. I rented one a few times when I first started diving below 60ft. Could get you a breath or two to get to a buddy who is not looking at you. However, I agree with PerroneFord that a 80 is probably not enough gas if you are below 100ft. I went with a 120 and use a 19cuft pony, but agree doubles would be good, hey double 80's would give me 37% more air - but, I seem to be able to dive to my max no decompression bottom time with the 120 and still have a good reserve. Maybe in a few years, I could consider doubles. Thanks for an interesting post.

Used my pony in anger once from 28m (about 95ft). Uncontrolled freeflow filling up a DSMB. Due to a nylon valve in the first stage neither myself nor buddy could physically shut off the main cylinder to stop the freeflow, the result being the tank emptied very quickly.

Pony was more than adequate to surface whilst completing the (few) stops we'd accumulated at the time.

I got that tank valve changed for a much sturdier model straight after that. Tank valves are important bits of kit !

scubadds,
How do you carry your pony? Apparently your buddy's was not strapped to his primary tank. Pros/cons of strapped vs. sling?
Thank you.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom