Tank Tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Creed

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I would share my experience with building an el-cheapo tank tumbler. I am doing this entirely from memory, so don't quote me on the dimensions. I designed it as I built, so I don't have exact measurements.

It took a 1785(or whatever the standard rpm is) rpm motor(had one),
a couple of 2x4's,
some pulleys and a belt from the local farm implement store,
some rubber tape for the drive shaft,
a 3/8 inch 3 ft steel bar,
a pair of old roller skates(not inline),
and misc stuff like deck screws and whatnot.

First, I tore the aluminum wheel support(for lack of a better term) from the bottom of the skate shoes. Then, I cut the supports in half with an angle grinder, leaving me with four sets of wheels, with convient mounting holes. I took off the wheels, cleaned the shafts with steel wool, and packed the bearings with grease.

Then, I cut 4 36" lengths of 2x4, and two 12" lengths. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the smaller pieces. That was the support for the drive shaft. The longer pieces were the frame.

I guessed that 6" would be a good width for the tank to turn, and lined up the skate wheels accordingly. The motor mounted on the top, with a 1-1/2" pulley. It drove the 2-1/2" pulley on the shaft. Combined with the 3/8" diameter of the shaft, that resulted in the tank turning at somewhere around 60 rpm.

It is an ugly ad hoc project, but it works fine. When I rebuild it(the next time I need to tumble a tank), I am going to change a few things.
1 - go to a 1/2" shaft. The 3/8" flexes somewhat.
2 - install bearing for the shaft. It works ok running on the wood with motorcycle chain wax coating the inside, but I don't trust it to run unattended for hours on end.

Pretty easy to build, and cheap if you can scrounge the parts like I did.

I'd also consider changing the gear ratio a bit to reduce the tank rotation rate to 25-30 rpm. Much of the effect of the tumbling process occurs from the fall of the media in the tank. At 60 rpm I suspect that much of the media is staying plastered against the tank wall with comparatively little shifting or movement reducing the efficency of the tumbling process

DA Aquamaster:
I'd also consider changing the gear ratio a bit to reduce the tank rotation rate to 25-30 rpm. Much of the effect of the tumbling process occurs from the fall of the media in the tank. At 60 rpm I suspect that much of the media is staying plastered against the tank wall with comparatively little shifting or movement reducing the efficency of the tumbling process

Actually, with the media I used, it seemed to work perfectly. At 60rpm, it created a really nice wave looking effect.

critterc:
what media are you all using ?

I just went to the local river, and scooped up some coarse sand and gravel. While I was digging for that, I noticed a plethora of spent brass shells, mostly from .22 caliber pistols. I collected a lot of those, figuring that brass will strip lining but not harm the steel. There are also a lot of river clams in that area. I collected a lot of shells, and smashed the larger shells with a hammer, to make plenty of jagged, sharp edges. Totally free media. Just costs the time to collect it. If I wanted to make it faster, I could have brought a piece of metal fencing(the type with 1/2 inch squares) to use as a seive.

To sum up, small gravel, sand, crushed shells and brass.

Creed:
I thought I would share my experience with building an el-cheapo tank tumbler. I am doing this entirely from memory, so don't quote me on the dimensions. I designed it as I built, so I don't have exact measurements.

It took a 1785(or whatever the standard rpm is) rpm motor(had one),
a couple of 2x4's,
some pulleys and a belt from the local farm implement store,
some rubber tape for the drive shaft,
a 3/8 inch 3 ft steel bar,
a pair of old roller skates(not inline),
and misc stuff like deck screws and whatnot.

First, I tore the aluminum wheel support(for lack of a better term) from the bottom of the skate shoes. Then, I cut the supports in half with an angle grinder, leaving me with four sets of wheels, with convient mounting holes. I took off the wheels, cleaned the shafts with steel wool, and packed the bearings with grease.

Then, I cut 4 36" lengths of 2x4, and two 12" lengths. I drilled a 3/8" hole through the smaller pieces. That was the support for the drive shaft. The longer pieces were the frame.

I guessed that 6" would be a good width for the tank to turn, and lined up the skate wheels accordingly. The motor mounted on the top, with a 1-1/2" pulley. It drove the 2-1/2" pulley on the shaft. Combined with the 3/8" diameter of the shaft, that resulted in the tank turning at somewhere around 60 rpm.

It is an ugly ad hoc project, but it works fine. When I rebuild it(the next time I need to tumble a tank), I am going to change a few things.
1 - go to a 1/2" shaft. The 3/8" flexes somewhat.
2 - install bearing for the shaft. It works ok running on the wood with motorcycle chain wax coating the inside, but I don't trust it to run unattended for hours on end.

Pretty easy to build, and cheap if you can scrounge the parts like I did.
Any pictures?

hoosier:
Maybe, you guys might be interested in this one:

http://www.magnificentrelief.com/Tumbler.htm

She is also our member and so handy diver....:wink:

I took some inspiration from (her,his, their?) design. My shaft runs through the center of the 2x4s instead of to the side.

the larger tumblers that i have seen are on tables, and tilt so the media can concentrate on the neck or the bottom, as that is frequently where problems occur to start with.

Back
Top Bottom