Bauer junior 2 filling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been away camping and only just got home and saw this thread. Yes, that is my website being referred to. I have now had the compressor for over 20 years and have filled almost 5,000 tanks in that time. I often run it for a few hours at a time, never a problem. I have it under my house so much cooler there, normally even in summer it only gets to about 23C at the most when it is 40C outside. I have two whips and can fill two tanks at a time and mostly do. They are much cooler this way.

If anyone has any questions, post here or contact me via the website contact page.

Hello Michael, Welcome back!

I must say that I do not know how you did it! 20 years of logs! I can not keep my dive log book up to date! Also thank you for all your detailed information! What a valuable resource for those of us with a Bauer 2 Jr.

I am especially grateful for the part about the oil change to synthetic oil. I plan to run mine on a boat and would like to blend Nitrox eventually. I will get the oil changed and watch for sludge!

No questions. You covered it sooooo well in your blog! I desire to get 20 years (And counting) out of my compressor! You should be an advertisement for Bauer! Again, Thank you so much!

Brett Boone

Hello Michael, Welcome back!

I must say that I do not know how you did it! 20 years of logs! I can not keep my dive log book up to date! Also thank you for all your detailed information! What a valuable resource for those of us with a Bauer 2 Jr.

I am especially grateful for the part about the oil change to synthetic oil. I plan to run mine on a boat and would like to blend Nitrox eventually. I will get the oil changed and watch for sludge!

No questions. You covered it sooooo well in your blog! I desire to get 20 years (And counting) out of my compressor! You should be an advertisement for Bauer! Again, Thank you so much!

Brett Boone
Thanks Brett

I have zero experience with the Jr. Does it have coalescers and how often do they get drained? I would assume they would need it more so in hot and humid air?

@tbone1004 you said away and get lunch, but you'd still have to let the water out ever 15 or 20 min, yeah?

Also, Bayer says not for banks, but you could always run for an hr, rest, repeat yeah?

I hopemy compressor lasts 20 years!!

I have zero experience with the Jr. Does it have coalescers and how often do they get drained? I would assume they would need it more so in hot and humid air?

@tbone1004 you said away and get lunch, but you'd still have to let the water out ever 15 or 20 min, yeah?

Also, Bayer says not for banks, but you could always run for an hr, rest, repeat yeah?

I hopemy compressor lasts 20 years!!

Stock configuration has a single fill whip and the condensate draining is part of the shut-down feature. You do have to drain the condensate but when I was talking about lunch I meant more like go to a picnic bench near the vehicle vs. drive away and let it run.

On the bank side it's what @iain/hsm was talking about in terms of duty cycle. You do not want to run a Junior II at 4000psi for any real length of time. If you were filling a single bank you would be spending more than an hour over 3,000psi and that would build up too much heat for that little pump.

Stock configuration has a single fill whip and the condensate draining is part of the shut-down feature. You do have to drain the condensate but when I was talking about lunch I meant more like go to a picnic bench near the vehicle vs. drive away and let it run.

On the bank side it's what @iain/hsm was talking about in terms of duty cycle. You do not want to run a Junior II at 4000psi for any real length of time. If you were filling a single bank you would be spending more than an hour over 3,000psi and that would build up too much heat for that little pump.

So with a Jr (and I guess I could look this up) what is the recommended purge interval?

@LanceRiley Thank you for doing that! I like actual data!

To add to what @tbone1004 said. Life at 4000 PSI would have much more wear than at 3000 PSI and shorten the life of this little tiny pump! I think it is clear in Michael's blog that he only filled scuba cylinders.

To accentuate this point I read in the manual:
"The max. number of load cycles for the P21 Central Filter Assembly is 4,500 if operated at the max. allowable pressure difference range of 330 bar (4,700 psi). For a pressure difference of 225 bar (3,200 psi) the max. no. of load cycles is 63,000." "On condition that a max. number of four cycles per hour is not exceeded (condensate is drained every 15 minutes) the max. number of operating hours is 1,125 for 330 bar units. It is not necessary to record the operating hours for 225 bar units as the theoretical filter housing lifetime is 15,750 operating hours."

First of all I thought it was called the P0 filter housing and the insert filter was the P21! But this is copied and pasted from the manual! But WOW 4500 cycles VS. 63,000.

@clownfishsydney I do have two questions for you. Maybe 3.
What pressure did you fill to? Always the same? They now make a change over device that will let you switch between 200 bar and 300 bar.

Did you ever replace your actual filter housing? (P0 I believe)

What was the advanced filter life matrix that you eluded to? You mentioned that it comes with the Bauer P21 replacement filters. I use after market filters and I have not seen this. You mentioned that you get a number of points and depending on several factors like temperature and time this tells you how long you filter cartridges last. Genius!

4th question: Did you ever add another filter housing? I would like to add a large charcoal filter to catch more oil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom