Tank too old???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as they are properly inspected there is nothing wrong with AL tanks. When deciding between new or used keep in mind the new DOT Standards that apply to any Aluminum cylinder manufactured in 1990 or before. This requires that VIP+ or eddy current testing be performed in addition to the standard hydrotesting. Depending on the rates in your area this testing may offset the the savings of buying an older tank.

I have several steel 72s from the 60s. Average cost is probably less than 50 bucks a piece with hydro, vip, and a newer valve. Some have the 1/2 inch npt valve that seals with teflon tape, which has not been a problem so far, but my lds mentioned to me that some shops shy away from filling tanks with valves that are not o-ring sealed. You might want to stick to tanks with the more standard 3/4 neck size, as it makes upgrading the valve that much easier. For around 50 bucks a pop, they are hard to beat where money matters. They also make great doubles. And I have heard, up in cave country, that when just slightly overfilled, capacity increases to nearly 100cu. ft. That is what I have heard, anyway.

Skooter:
... keep in mind the new DOT Standards that apply to any Aluminum cylinder manufactured in 1990 or before. This requires that VIP+ or eddy current testing be performed in addition to the standard hydrotesting. Depending on the rates in your area this testing may offset the savings of buying an older tank.

WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG

TRY READING THE #$%^& CFRs!!!!!

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf

The only cylinders that need a visual plus inspection are those made of the 6351 alloy and it only needs to be done at the time of hydro. However, Luxfer reccomends that it be done every 2.5 years. And as others have noted some shops will refuse to to fill any 6351 cylinders and may go as so far as to not fill any aluminum cylinders that are past a certain age.

Scared Silly:
WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG - WRONG

TRY READING THE #$%^& CFRs!!!!!

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf

The only cylinders that need a visual plus inspection are those made of the 6351 alloy and it only needs to be done at the time of hydro. However, Luxfer reccomends that it be done every 2.5 years. And as others have noted some shops will refuse to to fill any 6351 cylinders and may go as so far as to not fill any aluminum cylinders that are past a certain age.

And some shops will insist on performing an eddy test at each visual inspection for all tanks. They have to pay for the machine somehow.:light:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom