Tank too old???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

volyblmn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are old tanks safe to dive with as long as they aren't made with the AL-6351 alloy? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to find used aluminum/steel tanks but I want to make sure I'm diving with one that's -- A) safe and B) not so old that dive shops won't fill it. Any words of wisdom are appreciated...

I sill have a steel, in hydro built in 1960

check the hydro, if it passes then its good, the more the tank is used the better if they aren't used they loose their elasticity (they are made to expand and shrink). so keep that in mined

Properly cared for 3AA steel tanks have an indefinate life span. I have several over 50 years old and many commercial oxygen tanks are over 80 years old. That being said it doesn't mean an LSD won't take it apon themselves to not fill any tank over whatever age they decide on.

soudan:
check the hydro, if it passes then its good, the more the tank is used the better if they aren't used they loose their elasticity (they are made to expand and shrink). so keep that in mined

Sorry, metal does not lose elasticity from age or non use. It looses it from being stressed beyond it elastic limit. Each time a tank is filled and emtpied it loses a minute amount of elasticity. Tanks are designed to stretch and contract many thousands of times before the loss of elasticity becomes a point of failure. It is sort of like bending a piece of wire. You can bend it only so many times before it will break.

I have two steel 72s from 1972 and 1973, perfectly fine and in hydro. :D

As long as it passes hydro and VIP, you can use it. There is a lot of BS going around about the 6351 tanks. IF they are checked by a good inspector they are fine to use although some shops refuse to fill them. To be honest, if your on a budget, why even buy tanks? Unless you dive a lot, the initial cost, hydros and vips end up costing more than if you simply to rent when you need them. More so if you do mostly travel diving.

herman:
To be honest, if your on a budget, why even buy tanks? Unless you dive a lot, the initial cost, hydros and vips end up costing more than if you simply to rent when you need them. More so if you do mostly travel diving.

I agree completely, there are lots of other, more personal items to concern yourself with than tanks. Plus, a lot of times used tanks are out of Hydro/VIP. By the time you add up the service costs you might not have saved enough to justify the effort.

The ownership of tanks isn't really about saving money. I don't think I save any money, but it's nice not to have to rush to the dive shop to rent before a dive and rush to get them back.

Owning multiple sets of tanks (at an even higher cost) is worth it also. That way I can dive 2, 3, or 4 days in a row with multiple dives per day and not have to go to the dive shop to get air fills. it's all about convience.

With the 6351 tanks, nothing wrong with them as long as they are properly inspected. But many dive shops, including most shops in Florida, will hassle you about filling them. (I've never actually seen them check to make sure any of my tanks weren't 6351 though).

volyvlbm:
Any words of wisdom are appreciated...

before buying them, check your LDs policy on 6351 tanks. Also if you plan to travel with them, consider that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom