Tank straps for BP -- scubapro or Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the ScubaPro tank straps, got the idea from Dee and Beast, yes they have the rubber tank grabber on them as well.

ID

Originally posted by large_diver
FredT sells scubapro tank straps (single tank diving) to go along with his BPs.....anyone have any opinion on these vs. the Halcyon straps?

We got the ScubaPro bands from FredT last year and yes, they have the rubber no-skid pads.

While shopping for Halcyon stuff we looked at the Halcyon straps but I don't think I would like them. The metal peice that fits into the buckle is not solid. You'll have to place it just right in order for it to hold. On the ScubaPro, the metal piece is a solid ring. As long as you get it into the notch on the buckle, you're good to go. This is especially hand when you wrap the bands around and catch the notch, it holds while you adjust the placement, then close the buckle.

I agree with Dee re the Halcyon buckle - it took a few tank changes to get the knack of the buckles not falling apart while trying to attach the tank. They could be better designed.

BUT, they grip like the blazes once they're on - I don't even bother to wet my straps anymore before tightening, and they've only had a few dives, so they presumably would still be prone to some stretching - but with that metal buckle you can ULTRA tighten them anyway. Tank slippage is no more - that's in conjunction with a seperate STA which I feel allows a tighter strap grip than the "integrated" STA of the wing.

A few more questions about the halcyon straps.....

I see Halcyon octo straps offered by Extreme Exposure described as follows: "Single Tank Strap Replacement, Octogrip, Delrin cam buckle" ($29)

On the Fifth Dimension website I see octo straps described as follows: "Single tank Octogrip Strap Replacement with Stainless Super Cam Buckle" ($38)

I guess these are the same straps with different buckles...???

Originally posted by large_diver
I guess these are the same straps with different buckles...???
Yes that is correct... but... Halcyon is coming out with the new SS buckle that doesn't come apart as soon as they can dump... er... get done selling... hmmm... as soon as they are available.

I'd wait or at least inquire.

UP,

So what you're telling me is I bought the straps at the wrong time. I have a pair coming in this Friday with one of the DIR-F instructors.

JoelW

Dows anybody heard about the Scubapro wings?
My LDS want to sell me a combination of Transpak BP and Scubapro wings, telling me it's the same as Halcyon wings in shape, and different material.

Originally posted by DPhantomas
Dows anybody heard about the Scubapro wings?
My LDS want to sell me a combination of Transpak BP and Scubapro wings, telling me it's the same as Halcyon wings in shape, and different material.
Add your shop to your "No longer trust" list.

Here's a picture from the SCUBAPro site:

http://www.scubapro.com/consumer/products/bcds/rectek/rectek.jpg

The wing is nothing like a Halcyon and the corrugated hose is too long. I assume the Air II is optional, so I won't address it here.

Note when he says "Transpak" he really is talking a transpak -- a design that DiveRite left awhile ago when they moved to the TransPak II and sold the rights of the old design to SCUBAPro (not that I like the TransPak II any better).

So if you want to get a wing that's not like a Halcyon, a inflation hose that's too long and a harness system that's overly complex as well as an old design, go for it.

If you want a Halcyon (I would) get a Halcyon.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom